Well, at least I know I have a female

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Pete
Obsessed!!

Well, at least I know I have a female

Post by Pete »

She'd been in and out of the cave for about the last two weeks. Yesterday evening there were some eggs, but looks like they weren't fertilized.

Question: does this count as one spawn but with zero fry for the register?
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Sorry, I missed this one. No it doesn't count ;) They should be out of the first dangerzone before being registered, which means 2-3 weeks afer they've started eating.

Glad to hear that they've made the first attempt!
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

surely a spawn is a spawn... if its not fertilised - they still spawned..

What yolour are they Pete - We've had bright golden and very light yellow spawns - all have been fertilised ;)

Is the male still looking after them?
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

smithrc wrote:surely a spawn is a spawn... if its not fertilised - they still spawned..
Technically that's true... hmmm... I'm not sure if that's the intention of the register though...

I must admit I'm really not sure :oops: I'll direct Rob to this thread and see what he thinks :)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Guys, apoligies for the late appearance.

The register was set up to give us an idea of how many successful spawns were achieved in captivity, eventually leading to (Hopefully) a rough indication of the number of captive bred fish. Whilst it is in it's simplest form, plans are still afoot to re-vamp it with some actual technology as opposed to my feeble attempt at an html table ;-) .

So in short, at this stage it is only spawn that have led to fry. When we have the ability to interrogate the data then we will be after all successful and unsuccessful spawns.

ON that note.. Congrats on the spawn.. fantastic news ;-)

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"