Euthanasia in fish.

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Ewee when I use to keep koi I occassionally use to have to anaethetise the odd fish to treat for scrapes picked up around the pond. A couple of times I even had to administer antibiotic injections, as you can imagine there is no way you will be able to do this with a 20" fish thrashing around.

The anaesthetic you refered to is MS222, available from vets only on prescription. Kusuri Masuizia, Phenoxytol and oil of cloves are some other anaethetics that can be used. My preferred choice was Phenoxytol as it was easier to administer and get hold of. Depending on the dosage used and the size of the koi it would be rendered unconsious in about 5 minutes, it use to take a lot longer with MS222. A double dosage should normally eutnanase a fish in 15 minutes depending on it's size, I don't know for sure as I never had to do this. I would guess that smaller fish would succumb to the anaesthetic a lot quicker.

This is not a procedure for the faint hearted as it can take up to half an hour to bring a fish round again and you never know if they will make it. It's a bit like a general anaesthetic in humans most people are ok but a small number don't survive the procedure.
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

Where can i get Phenoxytol from adam?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Ewee,

You can try this place:

Karobar Koi 62 Bucknalls Drive Bricket Wood Saint Albans Hertfordshire United Kingdom AL2 3XL Tel: 01923 677734. The owners name is Barry.

I'm not sure if he is still trading as his website is down.

He may not give it to you though as he likes to build up a rapour with the customer first before he starts selling this sort of stuff.

Let me know how you get on.
hamish99
Obsessed!!

numb

Post by hamish99 »

in samon and trout farming we used to use Benzocaine to knock out fish, it also makes you hands go numb if you forget your golves