Eggs hatching

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Eggs hatching

Post by McEve »

The eggs are hatching, and I now have 7 wrigglers. Some of the eggs are dead unfortunately :( But there seem to be about 80% that are healthy.

The problem, or what I'm afraid might be a problem, is that 3 of the wrigglers are stuck to the clutch of eggs. They struggle to get loose, but are so far unsuccesful. Should I try to separate them, or should I leave them alone? Will they eventually be able to get loose, and am I worrying about nothing?

One of the free wrigglers also carries a shell from another dead egg with him. Should I try to get it off of him, or will he get rid of it by himself?

Next time I'll leave the eggs with the male - I can see they need the care given by the him. It's all a learning process for both me and the male this child rearing stuff, and I strongly suspect he will do a better job than me once he gets the hang of it :)

I'm afraid I made a mistake by stealing the eggs.... :oops:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

If you have a turkey baster, you can quite often free the young that are stuck by gently sucking up water and squeezing it over them. Make sure it is done gentl.

Good luck

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Rob

The dead ones are cleaned out and I've got 7 of them in safety now, they all look happy and healthy.

There's still another 7 eggs that hasen't hatched. The eggs are a darkish yellow with a stripe on top, which should be the fish. Makes me wonder if they aren't healthy because they haven't hatched yet? The ones that were dead was all whitish.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Can you see them wriggling?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The remainder hatched before noon today. I have 13 happy healthy wrigglers in safety :D

Thanks for your help Rob
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

COngratulations McEve

:P :P

Let us know how they do.

rob
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Congrats McEve, thats quality!
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Well done McEve,

Hope one day I will be a Zebra Dad !!!!!
What were the size of the male and females that bred for you?.
Either body size or overall length will do.
Thanks,
Des :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks all, I'm a very proud grandma :lol:

Nr 5 is the daddy (see the thread "My bunch"), which is 8 cm excluding tail, the mare (are fish mums mares?) nr 3 is about 7 cm, same size as nr 4 which was the female responsible for the first batch.