how much and how old that be the question

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

siming1
Groupie

how much and how old that be the question

Post by siming1 »

alright me pleco lovers how be you on this fine day? My question be how much is a reasonal price for baby zeras? And how old should they be before selling cheers
siming1
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I follow the general rule of thumb that they be an absolute minimum of one inch in total length and at least 6 months of age. I prefer not to sell until the fish are at least 1.25 inch and a few months older.

Hard to price as I am in the USA and your are in the UK? I sell mine for US $125 if they are picked up and $150 if shipped with a guarantee of live arrival.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

6 Months is about right although some breeders like to keep them for at least a year.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

regarding size, I think an inch minimum is the smallest size they should be sold at.

As for price...it's up to each and every seller. While some sell theirs for 30 quid each, others try and charge anything up to £120 for fry. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what a fair price is as long as you think it's fair...if your happy to part with the said price for said fish does it really matter what anyone else is selling them for?

Plastic Mac
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

I recently got some from Germany SL .75 inches. They are just fine.

I agree with PM though it should be left until at least 1 inch if not more. These guys are professional shippers.

As for price, I agree with the price range that PM has posted, it even goes higher.

My thought is that the higher the price, the fewer that people can afford and hence in years to come there is less likelihood of the recipients breeding fish. The more fish you have the more likely you are to breed.

Taking the above into account, is it your pocket your thinking about or the welfare of the fish.

Recently it has also become apparent that a number of people are wheeling and dealing in this fish, hobbyists that is.

This only inflates the price as they are profiteering on other peoples efforts and is preventing the breeders who want to sell at the lower end of the price range from doing so.

Take care

Dave