The Silent Killer...

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

The Silent Killer...

Post by ApacheDan »

I read somewhere that it takes mistakes to gain experience...and it takes experience to avoid mistakes. If you are reading this, consider it both your mistake and your experience....so you won't do what I did.

I had 18 juvie zebras between 1" to 2" in size for about 3 months now. I decided that their tank with sand substrate was a pain to clean and got a 20 gal breeder tank to put tile as a background and flooring. I installed the tiles with aquarium silicone, but it bother me that with clear silicone the edges and cracks wouldn't look good, so I filled them with regular colored grout. When it dried, I covered the grout with a thick layer of aquarium silicon. Cycled the aquarium, placed all zebras in it. As time went by, I guess the warm water found a way under the silicon and the grout started deteriorating. Water became cloudy. It didn't help that I had a piece of driftwood releasing a lot of tanin there. I kept my daily water changes and the zebras didn't look like they minded. They kept eating and growing normally, but I became really worried about the cloudiness of the water.

So I decided to do another 20 gal tank..better, so I thought. Did the same job with the tile, glued with clear aquarium silicone. For filling the cracks and edges, I used GEII, 100% colored silicone, with anti-mildew; bought at a hardware store. Let it cure. Then layed a real thick coat of aquarium silicone everywhere the GEII was placed. After everything was cured, I cycled the aquarium. When it read 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, I lowered the temp to 82F and did a 50% water change. Let it filtrate water for another 2 days. Readings again of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, temp 82, pH 7.4, 79 ppm, crystal clear water. I added Kent's minerals to reconstitute the water. I put caves, rocks, driftwood and transfer all my zebras there...similar procedure I've done before, taking my time to aclimate them to the new water.

This was in the afternoon... by next morning I realized something was not right. Zebras of this size usually hide, especially in the morning light. Some zebras were stuck to the glass. Some where sticking to the foam filters. Some hiding. I tested the water again...no changes from previous readings. I added 2 capfuls of Cycle, beneficial bacteria. It took me a while to realize that they were dying. At this time nine were death and nine others showed some signs of life. In desperation I took the survivors and placed them in another tank with a colony of L400's and some bristlenoses. The remaining died within hours. Nothing happened to the L400's or bn's. All 18 zebras died within 18 hours.

Upon close examination, their bodies showed no signs of infection. Stomachs appeared normal. They all showed what appeared to be massive internal bleeding, with 25-75% of their bodies turning red under their skin and fins. Never seen something like it. Never seen something that killed fish so fast. Once the poison was in their bloodstream, there was no stopping it.

In retrospect, I believe the second coat of aquarium silicon did not sealed the first layer of toxic silicon. I believe that it simply formed a chemical bond between the two products and the top layer became as toxic as the first layer. I believe that the fish absorbed the toxic substance through their skin.

Lessons to be learn:
1/ don't put anything in an aquarium that you are not 100% sure it is fish safe.
2/ don't assume that clear aquarium silicon will seal or cure any imperfections in the tank..you will be playing with a loaded gun
3/ never, never put your zebras in a new tank first.....test the waters with other fish for at least a week.

As I sit here, still in shock and horror; writing this for the benefit of others, I just wish my babies are in that big aquarium in heaven... I will join them one day.

Dan
Helena21

Post by Helena21 »

WOW! that really sucks! im so sorry to hear of your losses :(
pogo-stick

Post by pogo-stick »

Is the pink belly not a sign of when the fish is stressed?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The first sign of a stressed Zeb is that it's not hiding, often hanging on the glass and breathing heavily.

A hiding Zebra is a happy Zebra!

I'm so sorry for your loss ApacheDan. We've all made mistakes that took a long time to get over. I've done it. I don't know anybody that has kept Zebras for a while and haven't made a single mistake.

Don't spend too long kicking yourself :) You're a valued member of this community, so look forward and start again.

You'll be rewarded, just wait and see ;)
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

Sorry for the lost.....

Anti-mildew or flame retardent stuff is a no-go in fish tanks and I'm sure swapping tanks like that caused a mini-cycle somewhere. Hope you bounce back from this one.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

Thank you so much for your post - it's by experience that we learn & you've taught a great lesson here.

I am so sorry for your loss - I lost a whole tank of cory babies because of doing something stupid & I was devistated - I can only imagine what it must feel like with zebs! :cry:

Please take comfort in knowing that your loss was not in vain, but has saved all those who read your post from making the same mistake.

God bless

Lucy <><
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Only just seen this thread and i am so sorry to hear of your losses! :cry: That is so harsh! I would never ever put anything into a fish tank that I am not 100% confident is safe for any of my fish that's for sure! And certainly not with my precious zebas! :o
John

Post by John »

You have my sympathy ApacheDan :!:
Hope you'll bounce back and start again.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
steveashtray
Forum Follower

Post by steveashtray »

sorry to say but ive done this before, you should of just used GEII 100% WHITE silicone. ive used it befor on the same application and it worked great, just as long as its 100% silicone and its been cured for at least 24 hrs its tank safe. sorry for your lost.