PLEASE HELP!!!! - Camallanus Worms

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

PLEASE HELP!!!! - Camallanus Worms

Post by mistern2005 »

I recently discovered a camallanus worm infestation (a type of nematode) in my planted tank (NOT the zebra tank). However from what I hear these worms are very contagious....and I use the same net, cleaning equuiptment, etc. between tanks. The two otos in the zebra tank are not showing any symptoms and the zebra hides so much I couldn't tell if he/she has symptoms either.

I am having some Levamisole HCL shipped to me which will arrive on Tuesday. This is suppose ot be a single-dose, very effective cure. I am planning on treating both tanks. Does anyone know if zebras are susceptible to this particular parasite? Has anyone has expereince treating with Levamisole? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
GIORGOS

Post by GIORGOS »

it is a parasite worm on a fish?
GIORGOS
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've never seen camallanus in Zebras, but know of a person that had a Golden Nugget with this nasty infection.

Don't treat until you know they are infected would be my advice. But keep a close eye on them!
GIORGOS

Post by GIORGOS »

GIORGOS
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi,
The problem with this worm is that when they exhibit themselves from the vent of the fish , they are at an advanced stage and are reproducing ( into the tank).
I once had a newly purchased pair of whiptails that I had put in a zebra tank. The whiptails soon showed signs of this infection after which I treated the tank with Levamisole.
The whiptails did not survive for too long, I believe due to the damage already caused internally by the worms, but none of the zebras got infected or appeared to suffer from the treatment.

Regards,
Des.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I keep a couple of zebras in with a discus pair. I was forced to treat this tank with both metro and flubendazole (used for the same things as the levamisole) for a problem with the discus.

Neither med had any adverse effect on the zebras.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
elliott89
Groupie

Post by elliott89 »

I had the same problem a few weeks back and my male zeb got frightfully thin but i saved him with the use of discus wormer..he's starting to put some weight on now :D

Elliott
If there a bustle in your hedgerow..dont be alarmed now..its just a springclean for the may queen!!