What size tank will i need?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Helena21

What size tank will i need?

Post by Helena21 »

Hey,
Im not sure if i put this in the right forum place but......
What size tank will i need for 4-5 zebras for breeding? (in litres or gallons please)

Thanks very much in advance :)
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I use a 110 litre tank for 8 adults...

Have you obtained 4-5 already or are you on the look out?
Helena21

Post by Helena21 »

i havent got them yet, i will have to save up first and then i will get the tank and then the zebs

I realise i might have a hard time finding any
Helena21

Post by Helena21 »

anyone else got a good tank size?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

As an inveterate overstocker I put a breeding colony of what statred as 13 and is now 11 adults in a 30 gal. tank. it is a breeder tank and is 36 x18x13 inches. In addition to the breeders there have been as many as 50-60 fry in the tank. I would note that the tank is a maze of rocks, slate, caves and wood providing a ton of hiding places.

To some extent the choice of tanks was influenced by what I was able to use given my configuration of tanks at the time I got the fish.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

I got 21 fish in a 250 litre tank and they just bred. There has never been a fight in this tank but I had it built on purpose for them. I think the important thing is the floor space - water capacity is only important in order to maintain water stability.

Try and get a tank which is long rather than deep, if you can.

Decoration is also important, plus the set up of your colony. If you haven't got the fish yet you may find it difficult getting the right sex. For example, if you were to get 2 males and 3 females a standard 2 foot (length) x 1 foot x 1 foot tank would be plenty, IMO. And that is only 54 litres.
Last edited by Caesars on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helena21

Post by Helena21 »

ok thanks everyone. Do you think i would be able to keep and breed 4-5 zebs in a 20-25gallon (us gals) ?
kevinr
Forum Follower

Post by kevinr »

got 21 fish in a 250 litre tank and they just bred
21 Adult Zebs!!!

WOW :shock:

how in the heck did you get so many? I have been looking for a year and still have ZERO.
"He who dies with the most toys... Still dies!"
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Helena21 wrote:ok thanks everyone. Do you think i would be able to keep and breed 4-5 zebs in a 20-25gallon (us gals) ?
Can't see why not. That's roughly about 90 litres, which is decent. Again, check your floor space though. If the volume of the water is due to the height of the tank they may be a bit too tight for comfort.
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

kevinr wrote:
got 21 fish in a 250 litre tank and they just bred
21 Adult Zebs!!!

WOW :shock:

how in the heck did you get so many? I have been looking for a year and still have ZERO.
LMAO! Ditto what they said! :lol: I'm thinking of using my 260l tank for zebras and would love to home 21 but where the heck did you get them all from? :shock:
Helena21

Post by Helena21 »

Yeah, i will find a tank with a decent amount of floor space, rather than height.
Thanks! :)