too much power?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

too much power?

Post by ApacheDan »

I got three 20 gal long tank (30"x12"x12") & will be using a H.O.T. Magnum canister hanging filters for filtering & aeriation. Instead of carbon, I will use bio-media in the canister. In addition, I will add a corner sponge filter to each tank. It will be set at one end of the tank, to create a river-effect. Question is,...this is rated at 250 gph, which means it will turn the tank 12.5 times/hour. Is this too much current? :(

Thanks. Dan
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It should not be. My preference for hot mag loading is their micron cart.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

TwoTankAmin wrote:It should not be. My preference for hot mag loading is their micron cart.
I like the micron for polishing, but I'm going to leave these canisters permanently. It might be easier to clean the canister loaded with media without killing the bacteria....humm I might have to buy a 4th Hot Magnum just for polishing. I could assign one specific micron cartridge per tank, so as not to transfer any nasties between tanks...
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Dan- I run 2 HOTs full time and both are loaded with the microns. They are not the sole filters on the tanks on which they run. I would note that both have large prefilter sponges over the intake which provide some bio media for them.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

12.5 times per hour is fine...I was running mine at over 30+ times an hour at one point with no problems at all, zebs loved it.
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Thank you guys for the input. Love the idea of sponge on the intake....why didn't I think about that? :wink:

By the way, I do 15% daily water changes on each tank. As a discus-man, I'm used to it....can't hurt the zebras either.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

I am with the others the flow is appreciated by the zebras from what I see.

I have a little over 30x turnover rate in my 20g long
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

mine turns over about 19 times an hour, with no problems :D