What do you think?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Jenny
Obsessed!!

What do you think?

Post by Jenny »

Sorry, not very good photos of my over 3 yr old zebra - approx. 7-7.5cm
If I can establish the sex of this one then I will attempt to get pictures of the other adult. (The small zebra in the first photo is only just over 12 months)

Although it is always in a cave, I am not sure it is male. What are your thoughts or do I have to take it out of the tank to get a better picture.
Thanks

Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hi

pic one looks like a male, pic two looks like a female... very hard to say. but i think it is a very fat male, because its very hairy. does this pleco always stay in a cave ? If it`s, it`s definitive a male !!
Kind Regards
Christian

http://www.APSnet.de
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Yes it is always in a cave - the reason I wasn't sure is that it has a huge belly lately and looks more and more like a gravid female, perhaps wishful thinking of my part :lol:
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

i would say that from the pics it looks like a female but if it is always in the cave then it must be a male :? wierd?
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

I would say gravid Female. My breeding Female that has laid eggs spends all her time in a cave. The only difference is that she usually sits at the front in view where as the males sit right inside the caves out of view.

Cheers
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Ditto - Our breeding female hangs out in a cave too :)

This sexing lark aint as easy as you might think :D
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

I am thinking more and more that I have two adult females. If the one pictured is gravid and there is no male - will she absorb any eggs or could her health be endangered.

Why I think I might have two female is that both adults don't appear to have 'bristles' of any sort and, I would have thought that they would have some at their age.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Could well be the case. Get some pictures of the other one up and if you need an adult male speak to PlecoDamo :wink: