Hi all...

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Hi all...

Post by Jamie24 »

Hi, i m kinda new. I have been browsing this site (which i think is quite awesome) for bout 6 months or so, but have now decided to join as a member (have been too busy).
I used to keep 3x L46 a while ago but unfortunately they did not survive long :cry: ( i had them for about a year and they were fully grown, possibly wild caught. They came from a local fish shop but werent in the best condition :( and were in a slow flowing discus tank) but i am surprised they lasted that long. :shock:
But now i am back into trying to breed and keep these little beauties after gathering info from this site and what is now widley available on the net.

My plan is to have this setup ( pictured below) and ready to house the zebs that i am recieving soon whilst i work on my project tank for them which is 12" x 12" x 36". My current tank at the moment is 12" x 15" x 24".

Below are some pics of my tank at the moment. Am awaiting filter and heater and airstone instalation. (give me some time) will be 200w heater, tetratec IN800 internal filter and induced airline as well as airstones in tank. Thinking of either adding a seperate small filter for added flow or a powerhead to create more current.

Feel free to leave comments and/ or tips on set up,

thanks, J.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

welcome to the site Jamie24! If you want to breed zebs you need some breeding caves as well, part from that the setup looks excellent :)
John

Post by John »

Welcome Jamie24 :)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

Thanks, I do have some caves, i got them from someone in germany who makes them by hand. I will post some pics and a link soon. This is just a tank to hold them for a while and for them to grow in. the zebs that i will be aquiring will be roughly a year old so willl be too young to start to breed yet, hence the "no caves" in this tank.
I am busy with work at the mo, but will make a new post in the Tank Set-Up's post as i update and get my tank going with info on what i am doing. I will have six zebz in this tank about an inch and a half in length (this wont be too crowded will it?), as i say they will only be held in this tank for a little while ( a month to two months max, while i get my project tank up and running)
once moved into my project tank, i was looking at using this tank to breed Microgeophagus Ramerezi, which i have bred and spawned successfully before. (beautiful fish! :) )

thay spawned twice laying about 100 eggs each time and about 50-75% of them surviving into tiny fry and small juviniles which i sold to a local fish shop and some friends, due to not having the space for them back then.

(These are not pics of my actual fish,
just realy high quality ones that i found which show how nice this fish species realy is!)
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

tank looks good with quite a few hiding places. You need to put some bogwood in there for the zebras to rasp upon (vital). Apart from that v.good post some pics when its all complete :D
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

also, the rocks on the far left and far right seem to be "propped up" by other rocks. You might want to consider using some aquarium silicon to stick them in place. Last thing you would want is to find some flat zebs
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

Thanks for replys so far.

Here are the caves i was on about they are realy great. I put a 50p in the pics so you can see the size comparison of them. 2 small ones and 3 large ones. here is a link to the website, it has all other types and sizes for breeding all species, shame it isnt in English.
http://www.laichhoehlen-welshoehlen.de

Below is my project tank as i mentioned with an interesting shaped bogwood piece with caves integrated as i want to have them, once filled with black sand