McEve's tile tanks....

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

McEve's tile tanks....

Post by ApacheDan »

Hi McEve; I got inspired by your beautiful tanks with tiles & slates & I'm about to take the plunge with three 20 gal long tanks. How has it worked out for you? are you happy with it? Do you still prefered it better than sand substrate? Do the zebra like it?
I've already bought the tile size 12"x12" (italian Milano tile..my fish deserve it ... :lol: ), hopefully it will fit with minimum fitting. More questions, I will be using 100% silicon, but do you completely plaster the back with silicon, or just run beads of the silicon for the back of the tiles? What exactly do you seal? only the seams or make it a solid silicone back? I'm concerned with water/moisture/bacteria condensation behind the tiles.....thanks for any advice. Dan
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm very happy with it, easy to keep clean, and the fish seems happy. Clean water usually does that to them ;) I only sealed the seams, but not on the top above the waterline, to allow for airation behind the tiles.

Make sure you don't use tiles that have any form of glittering in them. Check in the light by angling the tiles at different positions. Also it won't hurt to do an acid test on them.

check this thread:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Thanks for the info.....off to slate-testing I go... :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

good luck! make sure to post pictures when you're done :D
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

you wont go far wrong if you try to replicate one of mceves set ups as they all are absolutly super.
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

rich1988oxford wrote:you wont go far wrong if you try to replicate one of mceves set ups as they all are absolutly super.
those thanks are gorgeous...that's were I got my inspiration :wink:
too bad I've not been able to locate colored aquarium silicon to match the tiles...only clear caulk tube of aquarium silicon. Now I'm thinking of sealing the seams with a wide/irregular amount of silicon beads, then just sprinkle all the silicon with beige/colored sand, like a breaded steak. Once it cures, then another thin layer of clear silicon to give it the smooth finish. This should give it a more natural look. Can hardly wait to get started this weekend.. 8)