glue the slates?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

glue the slates?

Post by ApacheDan »

I'm so scared to squish the tiny fry to death....most of my slates are just one on top of each other, enough to make cracks & spaces for hiding, which zebras just love. Problem is when I vacuum around, its almost too easy to accidentaly knock one slate on top of a bunch of zebras and kill some. I'm also converting to slate bottom & removing the sand (McKeve style :lol: )
Has anybody tried to silicon the slates together to make them a sturdier formation? any pros & cons? thanks. Dan
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

I take all my scraps from making caves for adults and glue them up at some pretty steep angles for the young ones and they have held up for at least a year. The fry love the tight squeeze and I don't have to worry about the structure crashing. Glue away(100% silicone)! :lol:
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

It has been said before, but always worth repeating: Always use aquarium sealant as the bathroom sealant has mold inhibitors in it that are toxic to aquatic organisms.

Al.C
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Thanks for the info....and yes I had a bunch of bathroom silicon. I'll look for something specific for aquariums. 8)
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I used to manage the waste for a chemical company which handled the inhibtor and it is quite nasty stuff.

Have a look for Dow Cornings sealant.

Al.C