My zebra is losing its stripes.....

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

jerms55555
Obsessed!!

My zebra is losing its stripes.....

Post by jerms55555 »

Im a newbie here, so let me start off by saying this is a great place!!
Last night when I got home from work I checked on the zebras (I have three different tanks, all with different sizes and ages) but I kept one in my community tank....well when i checked on him he was looking very white and his stripes were becoming very "dull" :( So I quickly did a water change thinking in the morning he would look better...well he still looked white and dull....but he is very active and darts around when i come to the glass. Anyways I had to pull everything out and catch him to move him with the other "All zebra tanks". My question is whats happening?? Is he stressed out?? I tested my water and everything looks fine. The only thing I noticed was i added a flying fox, about 2 weeks ago in just two of the tanks, and in two days in two different tanks my otos died. Do you think he is attacking my zebra?? :?:
Last edited by jerms55555 on Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Hmm. Sorry I can't help, but all I can say is that I have a few in a big tub. Once in a while I pick up all the decor just to check to make sure they are all alive. (If one dies, they do not scavage the body and it will sit there and rot). I have had 3 die for no reason in the past and they were half decomposed when I found them....very stinky and I was very worried about tank pollution from it)
Anyway, when I do a check, sometimes I find a few that are beautifully colored (very dark, black lines) and some I think...oh damn, lost another one because their color is so poor I think they died. When I go to remove their "body", they swim away. They look healthy other than their color. They have been this way for many months and I have not found a dead Zebra from this tub in many months. So whetever it is that is causing the poor color, it does not seem to be killing them. And like I said, in the same tub, I find very nice colored ones, so only a few fish seem to be showing the poor color. I too would like to know why, but just keep watch. And check for bodies once in awhile. I also had a L260 kick off for no reason and only noticed it was dead because of a white-looking body half sticking out from a rock. Maybe the dumb thing got caught under there...don't know...no reason for the death and all other fish are fine. Boy, did it SMELL when I pulled it out. Tried to do an autopsy...look for worms, whatever and almost lost my lunch. (Still could not find anything out of the ordinary). Anyway, just keep an eye on the fish. Anyone else know what causes poor color? All I know is that I've had some with poor color for a long time and they're ok.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Well if thats the case wandj and yours are not dying than, I feel alot better! :D Thanks.
But I would also like to know what causes this? Can his color come back?
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

The colour intensity of most tropical fish can change quite quickly. Often fish will be pale when they have been shielded from light. i.e. look at most fish in the morning when you turn the tank light on.

Most fish will also change colour intensity due to breeding/feeding/aggression/illness etc etc. In fact for many different reasons.

What I would advise is that Zebra plecs like living in colonies and I would put money on your plec improving in condition once it is living with some of its own kind.

Regards

Tom
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

i bought a few that were really pale. after a while under my care, their patterns grew bigger and darker. maybe its your water quality?? when it was in the pet shop, theyre all pale.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I don't think its was my water because everything tested up to par.... :?
When I get home in awhile i will check on him....hopefully "the women" is not home so i can see his activity....If she is than im pretty much screwed!!! :roll: I will probably pretend I am constipated and just head to the fish room... :twisted:
Adam

Post by Adam »

A couple of my zebras were purchased with faint stripes. They have coloured up quite nicely now, they are not as intensely coloured as some of the others but they look a whole lot better now. A good diet also helps to improve their colours. Recently I have noticed territorial disputes between three of the males has caused the black stripes on their sides to become "smudged".
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I too own a few older zebras that have very intense striping. I'd personally be doing a 30% water change immediately, just in case! They can never hurt. There are things that can get in the water that we don't test for, and a water change gives you the chance to dilute the problem. I do them daily when I'm worried about a fish!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

I too have a couple of zebras with "light "black stripes, they are in a tank with other "normal " coloured zebras, so dont think in my case ,that it can be anything to do with food or water conditions, but think personally that it might be a "light" coloured strain.
Regards,
Des
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

To follow up on the stripes disappearing act....well their back and he looks pretty good now... :D Thanks for everyones input :wink: Maybe it was something in the water?
Thanks again.

Jerms55555
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi jerms55555,

Glad to hear that your zebra has got its stripes back. Something in the water may well have been stressing him. You may want to up the frequency of your water changes for a while just to make sure that whatever was in the tank is well diluted/removed.

Merry xmas.