zebs in a community tank

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
bigmac
Forum Follower

zebs in a community tank

Post by bigmac »

i have a 45g community tank which houses a small l128, a largeish l128 (around 4"), a largeish l200 (around 5"), a small l260, a small l215 and a l316. i have another tank that i'm waiting to setup for a zeb breedind tank but as i know its going to take time to get the 5 or 6 zebs i need to start i'm thinking about putting the first couple i get in my community tank. i am willing to sell on a few of my over plecos to make this possible but ones should i move on and will the zebs be ok in a community tank?

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Zebs are not aggressive eaters, so can easily be out competed for food.
bigmac
Forum Follower

Post by bigmac »

my l260 is not good at competing for food so i feed them alot of petets every over day and leave a fresh bit of veg in all the time with the odd prawn every 3 or 4 days. i find they all get there fill that way and all look to be growing nicely.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i would keep a close eye on them but my personal opinion is that the zebras are expensive plecos and it would suck to have one of those cheaper plecos attack the zebra.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
bigmac
Forum Follower

Post by bigmac »

thats a fair point but like i said i would be willing to let a few go so that wouldn't be a problem. not that i have ever had a problem with them fighting but at this moment in time i'm a bit tight on space to setup my over tank to house one or two zebs. it would be a shame to find my over plecos new homes but i really want to move on to breeding and keeping these stunning fish.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I kept zebras as part of what I called my Yipes Stripes Pleco tank,. It held an adult pair of zebras, 2 male L-260s and a pair of L-134. Inside 10 months I had lost 1 zebra, I then added 3 more zebras and a pair of L-133s.

When I cleared this tank out to set it up for zebra breeding it held 2 zebras and the other 6 plecos. I am cinvinced the 3 zebra loses came at the hands of the other plecos.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
bigmac
Forum Follower

Post by bigmac »

Yipes Stripes Pleco! i like it :lol: your point is taken but this would be only for a short while until i can get hold of a good number of unrelated zebs then they would go into there own tank! i am thinking about keeping the smaller plecos i have already in the same tank and move on the bigger ones. the l133s get quite big so if they were fully grown maybe that was your problem?
John

Post by John »

My believe is that the tankmates for zebra's should be zebra's.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

They shouldn't be kept together with other Hypancistus because of the chanse of cross breeding, and not together with other plecs because of the competition for food.

Very few fish fits with Zebras. If we look at middle and top swimmers they won't fit because they would either be incompatible with the Zebra, or because they need a different enviroment than the Zeb.

When that's said, I do know of a Zebra spawn in a malawi tank, but I do believe that one goes under *rare occurances* :P
civicr
Obsessed!!

tank

Post by civicr »

in my zeb tank have have 6 zebs 6 cardinal neons and 4 threadfin rainbows (just a bit bigger than a neon) my tank is 210 liters .

they get on fine,what u guys think of my zeb tank mates?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've had both threadfins and Cardinals together with Zebs,and as you say, they get along fine. The problem is that the ideal conditions for Zebra is not ideal for the Tetra and threadfin...