number of days for the eggs to hatch

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

swong

number of days for the eggs to hatch

Post by swong »

Hi al,

I am a new in Zebra breeding and this is my 1st post.
I have a colony of 8 in a 40g bare bottom tank. They came from different batches and their size varies. I went for 1 week vacation with the fish unattented. Upon returning last wednesday moring (Aug 23), I spotted eggs in one cave and the male was guarding. I don't know when was the date of spawning. Up to this morning (Aug28) 6 days, the male is still guarding and I still see the eggs in the cave unhatch. Is it normal? My albino long fins bristol nose's egges hatch in 3-4 days. I am a bit nervous now..... Water tempurature is about 80F.

Any advise????

Thanks a million....

Wong
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Hi Wong, with temps as low as 80 degrees it's going to take quite a bit longer for the eggs to hatch. Definitely don't worry. It's actually a good sign that the eggs are fertile that they're still there. Congratulations!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
swong

Post by swong »

Thanks barbie!
Do you mean if the eggs were unfertilized, they would have been kicked out by now?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Sorry for butting in,

yes they would have been. Congrats, let the dad get on with it :)

And welcome to the forum
swong

Post by swong »

The eggs are hatching this morning. I saw their little tails wriggling.
What do I do from here? Should I take them out to rasie in a floating tank? Or should wait until they grow a lettle bigger?
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

congratulation!!! just wondering on how to deal with little one too. what to feed them as the bloodworm will make them choke. microworm?
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

I have used microworms with success and bbs. I rinse out the bbs in tap water to remove some of the salt - at least I think it helps. Trick is to turn down filter so they sink to bottom so fry can find them. Good luck and congrats!

Adult brine shrimp and blood worms (frozen) can have the fry choke, I know :( .
Dale
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

has anyone tried a piece of beef heart or seafood? i'm curious if the fry would graze on it like the algae and wood eating plecs would or if it would just be a waste of water quality to try it...
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Leave them with the male. It will be weeks still before they need to eat. I wouldn't attempt to feed them anything they can potentially choke on, if it was me. The subject has been covered numerous times in threads that should be easy to find with a forum search. Hope this helps!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
swong

Spawn again

Post by swong »

Hi Everyone,
4 months after the 1st sucessful spawn, they spawned again last night.
Over the past 4 months, there were a few occassions 2 fish in the same cave but one of them left in a couple days. 2 days ago, there were 2 in the same cave again. I thought it was a false alarm so I didn't pay much attention. Yesterday during feeding time, I saw 1 fish was facing out and the other one facing in. I got a bit excited because I beleive the facing out fish is the female and was laying eggs (Although I couldn't see it).
This morning I found there was only 1 fish in the cave and there are eggs....
The last spawn was in August. There were 14 babies hatched and only 12 could make it. They are growing well. The bigger ones are at the 1" size and the smaller are in the range of 1/2" to 3/4".

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas to all of you and your family......

Wong