Help, 2 males and 1 female or 1 male and 2 females?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

vietrice2k5

Help, 2 males and 1 female or 1 male and 2 females?

Post by vietrice2k5 »

Hi, I am looking at getting some zebra plecos, but I would like to know what would be more effective? Personally i think 1 male and 2 females is better, but I dont know. Also, would 2 males and 2 females be able to share a 38 gallon hexagon? or 1 male and 2 females? Thanks!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Firstly, I think you'll be lucky find yourself in the position of being able to choose which sexes you aquire, most people aren't.

Secondly, you think 1 male and 2 females is more effective than what?
I personally would recommend buying as many as you can, sexing is difficult and never guaranteed, hence spreading your chances across 5 fish for example rather than 2 or 3 will give you a better overall chance of success.

I'd say 4 would be fine in a 38 gallon hex tank. It would be good to know the total surface area of the tank as ime hex tanks have a smaller surface area than the more 'normal' tanks.