Hello Zeb fans

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Pajamas
Groupie

Hello Zeb fans

Post by Pajamas »

Hi I am very excited to get started keeping zebs.
Here is a pic of my tank

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/ ... 030675.jpg

Its a bit dull but I have more plants on the way. I was hoping someone could comment on my stock and see if it is ok for zebs. I do have an additional 350l to which these fish can move but that tank is still cycling.

tiger barbs, green barbs, rosy barb and golden barbs (about 10 in total)
2 bristle noses, 1 common plec
1 weather loach,
3 dwarf ciclids (2 ram)
1 leaf fish
2 gouramis 1 opal 1 red dwarf
1 big blue lobster (he will be going to another tank or to the lfs)
male and female sailfin molly
two yellow angle fish.
1-2 upside down catfish (dwarf)

I have read up a bit on this site (and others) and I know I would need lots more hiding places and caves. I will be getting these before I get my zebs (1 male). Hopefully I will be able to get more zebs soon after that.

I have good filtration (I think). It is eheim 2 pro. Also have little bit of CO2 for the plants.

Any tips and or commetns will be appreciated.

PJ's
tmh0324
Groupie

Post by tmh0324 »

The tank looks pretty nice and big~~

Welcome~~~ :)
Just fall in love with zebra~~
John

Post by John »

Welcome pajamas :)

Where are you from?
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Welcome.

Is that a 75 gallon tank?
Pajamas
Groupie

Post by Pajamas »

I am from London, UK. That is a Rio 400. Managed to get a male zeb. I am picking him up over the weekend. Any thing I need to know about transporting him (hour and a half travel)?
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I'm not sure how the weather is there, but if it gets too cold, I would put the fish in a cooler or styrofoam container. One bag might be fine, but 2 bags is best in case the bag gets a leak.
Pajamas
Groupie

Post by Pajamas »

Yup I have planned to put him in a cooler as it is dark and hopefully will keep him calm. I will however double bag him too - thanks!!

Been to my LFS today and they have nothing good to use as caves. I dont have the tools to make anything from the slate he had either. I know someone suggested new plantpots etc but I dont think it would suit my aqaurium very well. Has anyone any suggestions? I know there is info in it on the site but finding it is something else. I do have some bogwood that I can use in the interim.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Contact TomSharland, he makes caves and lives in UK.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Hi Pajamas,

Welcome to ZP and enjoy your stay, I'm sure you'll find the site most useful.

Plastic Mac
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Any pictures of him in his new home?

:cry:
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Be sure to post more pics when you get more plants.

As far as the tankmates for zebras, since zebras don't really compete well for food, majority of the fish will not work well, especially the angels. I find the angels to be pigs and may eat up allot of the food you leave for the zebras. The upside down catfish are normally nocturnal, so they will probably eat up the food for the zebras after lights are turned off.
Pajamas
Groupie

Post by Pajamas »

Thanks all, I have moved my common plec, the angels and some of the barbs. I now still have two bristle noses in there that seem to hang around him alot. (dont know if this is healthy but they seem to be getting along). He does seem to be hiding in his caves alot although he is not startled too much when I approach the tank - he has not picked one cave in particular and moves between the 3 caves I put in. I am hoping to get some more friends for him (wink wink nudge nudge).

Is there a way I can be sure he is eating properly? He looks fine to me - has no obvious smudges or discoloration. At this stage I am feeding frozen bloodworms, tetra prima and catfish pellets. I can get more food if required. I have also given frozen brine shrimp but I dont think it settled close enough for hm to eat. Obviously the other fish also get some of these but they get flakes and cucumber, frozen peas too.

Thanks for all the goos wishes and advise. I will certaily put more pictures up. I am told my plants arrive early next week. Hopefully they will settle in quick. I have already hooked up my extra CO2 bottle. Be prepared for a beauty!!
:D :D

P.S. I have named him Leon!!
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

If you have 'mood' lighting in the room with the tank - turn everything off in the evening except that. then feed and sit an wait - nice and still

He should come out quite quickly and start looking for what he can 'smell'

try something large and sinky that will sit in one place - then you'll be able to see him eating it rather than just sucking it up as he scoots about ;)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]