20 gallon long (30"x12"x12") tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

20 gallon long (30"x12"x12") tank

Post by crazie.eddie »

I just moved my L-046 Zebra Plecos and shrimps (RCS, Amano, & Bamboo) over to the new tank 20 gallon Long (30"x12"x12") river setup.

I'm using an Eheim Ecco 2234 with 200 watt Hydor inline heater and additional Eheim spraybars and intakes, arranged in a simple river setup. I also burried an airline tube underneath the sand in the back. The sand is actually larger than normal sand, so it doesn't get blown around by the current. I was told it was similar to pool filter sand.

It's still in the setup phase, but I got majority of the stuff moved in. I still have to move a big piece of wood and the bamboo shrimp hiding in the wood from my other 20 gallon high (24"x12"x20") shrimp tank. They hide well inside the wood, that it's hard to net them out of it. I just plan to move the whole piece of wood and hopefully the shrimp will stay on it.

The caves you see are actually about half the size of normal caves. They just are the perfect size for the juvies I have now. I'll be making more caves for new coming zebras. Eventually, I'll be making full sized caves when the zebra plecos become adults in the future.

The shrimps appear to be fine. The current doesn't seem to bother them. The zebras are actually more active in this setup. Either that or they're just curious on the new creatures (shrimps) crawling around the place.

Last edited by crazie.eddie on Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

Eddie,

NICE looking set up can't wait to see when the tank is done. I liked how the caves are buried.
Did the sponge on the intake came with the filter?
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The pr-filter sponge is actually from my Mag Drive 500 pump, which came with it. It fits perfectly for the intake. I liked it so much, I bought a whole bunch to put on the rest of my intakes.

I just put the wood and i don't like the look of it. The wood is the center of attraction, which I don't want it to be.
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

very nice :D
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Nice looking set-up CE. :D

The only thing I noticed which may or may not be an issue is the caves face the current. Obviously as you say they are still juvies, but adults certainly seem to prefer, when looking for a breeding cave, one which doesn't have a current aimed directly at the opening. Ime they prefer the current to come from behind or from the side...
This may or may not be an issue at the moment but I figure if the adults prefer it then the juvies probably will too.
Good looking tank though! :D

Plastic Mac
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Thanks for the info PM. I did bring up a similar topic here, but didn't get too many responses from seasoned people. So I just based the arrangement from what I saw with my juvies.

The side current is good to know, since now I have an easier time with adding/arranging more caves.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

:oops: LOl...so it's our fault the caves are like that! :D If I'd seen the post I'd of responded..I must have missed it, sorry dude.

Anyway, the arrangement might be fine for the moment..just be aware that deitrus from the juvie won't definitly get pushed out by the current or fanned out of the cave by the fish itself...plus food maybe pushed by the current into the cave and start to rot. In other words you might find the caves act as a trap for rotting waste...so just keep an eye on it.

I think the adults prefer the current from behind or the side of teh cave because if the current is head-on it can potentially blow the eggs around...so the male prefers to apply the current himself by gently fanning them.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Plastic Mac wrote::oops: LOl...so it's our fault the caves are like that! :D If I'd seen the post I'd of responded..I must have missed it, sorry dude.
LOL. I know everyone gets busy at times. Glad someone caught on to the setup :)
Plastic Mac wrote: Anyway, the arrangement might be fine for the moment..just be aware that deitrus from the juvie won't definitly get pushed out by the current or fanned out of the cave by the fish itself...plus food maybe pushed by the current into the cave and start to rot. In other words you might find the caves act as a trap for rotting waste...so just keep an eye on it.
Yeah, the thought about food getting trapped and rotting did come to mind. In my 10 gallon setup, I purposely made the caves bottomless, in order to inspect the zebras and do some cleanup. I was worried about them not eating, so I would blow some food inside their caves to make sure they get a chance to eat. Sort of like, breakfast in bed. LOL
Plastic Mac wrote: I think the adults prefer the current from behind or the side of teh cave because if the current is head-on it can potentially blow the eggs around...so the male prefers to apply the current himself by gently fanning them.
Thanks again. I'll make sure to arrange them.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Tank looks great and agree with PM.

In addition:

I have used both 3" long and 6" long caves for breeding, when given the choice they seem to prefer the 6" long.

I also have a lot more cover, using Mopani Wood.

In saying this I can get one colony to breed no problem, colony 2 and 3 I am struggling with, but different things work for different people and I guess different fish.

Take care

Dave
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

Crazy.E.

Awesome setup! It will look even better with the wood. I was thinking on getting a pre filter for my Ecco 2236. Have you ever used this one made by Eheim?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 30059&Ne=2

I’m also building a wet/dry filter for my tank. Do you suggest a spray bar for the return or to just let it come straight out. If it comes straight out it would create a tremendous current.
Bobby
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Thanks Dave. I'm looking around for other pieces of wood, ones that don't take over the appearance in the tank.

Rhino, I never used it. The spray bar and intakes I use are these...

Eheim sells 2 different sets for tubing size 12/16mm and 16/22mm. I just don't like the ugly green on the standard Eheim intakes and spraybars that came with my filters, which is why I replaced them. I also replaced the intake and spraybar on my FilStar XP3, since I want the equipment to look more uniformed.

And the pre-filter sponge I use is this...

The spraybar does help in reducing the strength of the water flow, plus it spreads it around more.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I've decided to setup a seperate tank for the shrimp. I found some of my shrimps (Bamboo and Amano type shrimps) taking over the little caves that the zebras are in. I'll probably add the shrimps back in when the zebras get bigger, more adult size. I'll probably keep the otos with the zebras, since they don't really care about the caves.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Nice setup!

I actually liked how you decided to hide the caves and make them look more natural, I was planning something very similar in my next setup.

As for PM's suggestion, can't you just move the spraybar to the top and make it aim at the surface? That way it will cause the water to move in a circular fashion, providing an even current. Or just move the caves all the way back to the sponge where it is much calmer.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

That is an awesome setup.

I am planning on converting my setup to a river setup myself, so some of the stuff learned from this thread will definately be of use.

Come to think of it... I never thought of using a filter to create the current. Well done mate. Can't wait to see the pictures when you put the wood in.

Regards

Bader
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Yeah, I've been thinking about it for awhile. Since the Eheim installation kits have lots of extensions, I have some spares available. I intended to do it on my 125, but I just needed more tubing. Since my 20 gallon long was a new setup, I decided to experiment on the setup.

I tried placing the wood in there, but it ended up being the center of attraction. I need to find smaller pieces of wood.