green slime bacteria HELP!!!!!!!

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

DANthirty
Obsessed!!

green slime bacteria HELP!!!!!!!

Post by DANthirty »

hi guys im fighting a loseing battle against green slime algea (bacteria) in my 75 gallon planted tank its not out off control yet but i just cant seem to get rid off it , all the water tests come up fine, the lights are on for 10 hours (5 tubes) with no siesta i have treid a couple off brands that claim to clear slime algea but with no great effect, my lfs said that if it was a bacteria it would be due to poor water quality but the tests look fine, i have been carrying out 25% water changes every 2 weeks with ro water mixed with ro right. but it just wont go HELP :cry: !!!!!!!!!
Tom26000

Post by Tom26000 »

Hi

Sorry to hear about your algae problems, its tough to clear when its got hold.

With the amount your saying your tank has got, I would put it down to too many nutrients in the water. Maybe up your water changes to dilute any phospate&/or nitrates. Five tubes is a lot of lighting but I am guessing this is for your plants.

Chemicals would only be a short terms answer and I wouldn't like to suggest any myself. Hopefully someone can add to my post and help you further.

Good luck

Tom
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Your water tests fine because the bacteria are busily uptaking all the phosphates they can, while algae can't compete with the lack of nitrates. It sounds totally backwards, but try LESS water changes, and more feeding, or the addition of a nitrate based fertilizer. It will take a month or so to really see a difference, and you still want to siphon out all of the slime you can every few days. If you just swish it around, it perpetuates itself, in that it releases exactly what's needed to grow more back into the water column. Addition of flow over the area that's getting it worst can also help, IME.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Going to the extreme. Get a UV lamp.
I only use it when the algae get out of control.
no need for more than a few days. ("Say hello to my little friend").
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

I already have one installed, its switched off at the moment whilst i try some new algea remedies
Adam

Post by Adam »

How's the battle with the blue green algae going Dan, are you winning?
Did you give Barbie's and Matrix99's suggestions a try?
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hi Ad
great news the slime algea has complety gone now yipeeeeeeee :D .
i used a product by esha for all types off algea, and it seems to have done the trick , but for how long ? thats the question.

Hows your tank now, with the sick cardinals? hope they are doing better.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Good news about the algae Dan, lets hope that it's gone for good.

My community tank is ok now the remaining cardinals seem to be doing well, there have been no deaths for well over a week. I've temporarily put my 15 watt UV on the tank for the time being, just to keep the bacterial count down. I was talking to my friend the other day and he said that it was unlikely that I had NTD as it responded very quickly to treatment. He suspects that I had false NTD which shows the exact same symptoms but is bacterial in origin not prototozoan. He said that the only way to confirm this would be through a lab analysis.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hi guys
:cry:
well i sorted out the slime algea, only to be greeted with the black hair type algea now any ideas were im going wrong? and any suggestions how to get rid off it

Thanks
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I got green slime algae in my quarantine tank about 4 weeks ago. I battled it for 3 weeks, then jsut gave up on it and started all over. So far so good.

I've actually done the same when black hair algae got the better of a tank about a year ago, but I've learned now that ammano shrimps are supposed to eat them?

Don't quote me on this but I think both these kinds of algaes are due to too mcuh fosfates in the water..?
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hi McEve

well i have over 20 or so amano shrimp in there at the moment and other type off shrimp too, and i also use rowaphose in my filter too so i normaly have a 0 phosphate reading mmmmmmmmm it seems im for ever mucking around with this tank trying to get things spot on :cry:
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Danthirty,
Im glad the Esha treatment worked the last time.
If the the tank youre talking about is a (Amano style)planted tank:
1)Have you a lot of fast growing plants in your tank?.It would help to add some if you dont .eg Indian fern,hornwort etc
2) I think the number of tubes you have there are ok for a marine but too many for a freshwater tank.
3)Adding a CO2 system is also very beneficial, if you dont already have one.Aquadabra have a complete JBL system for £160
4)Add a daily dose of phosphate and nitrate free fertiliser. ( after you have some fast growing plants).It is quite easy to make this yourself. Let me know if you want a recipe.
Prior to doing the above I would test your TDS. (TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS).IF you dont have a meter take a sample to some one who has one,maybe your LFS.
PS The Rowaphos takes out the phosphates but what does it ADD?
Regards,
Des.