Two spawns in the same cave at the same time?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Two spawns in the same cave at the same time?

Post by Plastic Mac »

Here's what happened to me last week.

I was watching the tank late one night when I saw a female leave the alpha males cave...cool I thought, hopefully there'll be another spawn. I sat there watching the tank for another half hour when i finally saw the alpha males tail sticking out of the cave wigglign around, at the same time I see another females head sticking out of his cave. Damn he's had two in there at the same time!!!

Last night, about 2am once I've got back from my poker night I checked the tank again and saw a little fry (guessing he'd just lost his yolk sack) on the edge of the cave. He quickly darted back in to the darkness of the cave for safety. 2mins later I see the male franticllywaggling his tail and I see an egg fall out of the cave. I guess he was trying to stop it falling out anyway I quickly picked it up and placed it in the fry trap where he is doing fine today. Judging by his size he definitly can't be of the same spawn as the young fry in the cave, he couldn't be more than 24 hours old I reckon. So it would seem my male will happily let 2 females in at he same time and service them both as it were. :D

I posted details my first spawn on the 18th of last month...and everyone estimated the fry had to be at least a couple of weeks old when i spotted them. As of last night this now makes my 4th in just 6 weeks from the same alpha male...I haven't seen him leave his cave at any point. Should I worry about him over doing it or do you think he's probably leaving the cave at night to feed? I'm only worried because out of all of my zebra's he was the only one never bothered about looking for food in the open with the lights on and I've only seen his back end for the last 6 weeks!... :D

Plastic Mac.
blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

What an interesting story, is there any update?? :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Very interesting, and good luck with them! I've heard of this before, so it does happen. Fun when it does! :D
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

i didnt think an alpha would allow anyone else in the cave after the spawn? not even one of his last bathes fry.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

Thanks McEve. What a perfect proof!! :D
nightowl1350
Groupie

Post by nightowl1350 »

McEve, awesome pics! Congrats on the spawns.

I'm sure I will never have any zebras of my own, but I just love checking in on here and seeing the sucess you and others have at breeding them. Congrats to all who have the chance to see first hand the wonder of zebras breeding in their tanks ;) Keep up the good work and post pics if you can.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I have an Ancistrus claro male that will spawn with any female ready, no matter whether he has wigglers in his cave, eggs, whatever, he doesn't care. Now if only he could show the zebras how this works :lol:.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]