which tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

zebra_man
Groupie

which tank

Post by zebra_man »

what tank would be good for 3-5 adult L46

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/Windsor_aquarium.php
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Either tank would be nice

Post by CDNAqua »

Bigger is better for stable conditions.

However come spawning time...when you want to do a rainy season with a larger tank you are going to need more water.
Enough to do a 30 % - 40% water change a day till your finished the wet season.

Just something to keep in mind when choosing tank volume.

A 35 - 40 gal will house 6 adults.

2 males 4 females would be nice with caves in opposite ends of tank.

Peace
lrry93
Obsessed!!

Post by lrry93 »

I agree with the above post. I will add the more floorspace the better. Go long, not tall. I have 21 Zebs in a 45gal long right now due to home construction and have had no problems. When Im done i will break them back into trios in 20 longs or 40 breeders.
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

i can only get the 66, so im going 2males and 2females, should this be sweet, will both the males breed if the caves at either ends of the tank?
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Possibly

Post by CDNAqua »

No sure answer to if 2 males breed in the same tank.

As Irry already mentioned the more floorspace the better.
More Floorspace will increase your chances with 2 males present.

In a 66 there is a good chance 2 males will have room.
Increasing your chances of 2 males per tank breeding ... try semi dividing the tank.
This may not be an option if your fish are to be ON displayed, but if your breeder tanks are the basement and looks are not important then dividing the males would be best.

Peace

Troy
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm not sure bigger is better no questions asked..... You have a greater chanse of only one male spawning no matter how big your tank is, and the fry will have a harder time finding the food the bigger the tank.

Remember 400L might seem big to us, but is still a drop in the ocean for wild fish :) The food is also distributed very differently in a tank than in nature.

I use 120L for my groups, used to have them in a 250L but found that the fry do a lot better in the smaller tank. Of course the adult group must he smaller as well.... 6-7 adults in 120L is max in my experience.
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

ok, then so the 66 a good choice? im going to change the filter and heater to a better brand like eheim, or sera. But that will be after i get them. (in December!)
would this work?

have 2 males in a tank, alpha breeds with female, remove the alpha with fry then the females will breed with the remaining male? would this stess the male to much? takeing him out of the tank, will he eat the egss.
lrry93
Obsessed!!

Post by lrry93 »

I think you need to go back and actually read the past post and form your own decision. Some good info has been given. I dont think you need that tall of a tank for a species specific pleco tank. What are you going to fill the upper area with? To much stuff in the tank equals 0 visibility of the plecos.

As for your breeding question. I have no clue why you would disturb a proven group. It would be smarter to go with two cheaper tanks and pair them off.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Not only that, but when there is only one male in the colony and too many females - breeding is less likely to occur, IMO. The female chooses the best possible mate and if there is only one male there is no way he will assert his dominance and prove to the females that he is infact the best choice. Two males minimum per colony, IMO. This way they will always be battling for dominance, showing off to the females and the females will defintely take notice. :wink:

And regarding floorspace, the bigger the floorspace the less likely interactions among the plecos will take place. For example, it's extremely difficult to breed a trio of Zebras in a 75G (48"x18"), while in a 20G (24"x12") spawning them is much easier as they will always be in close proxemity to each other.

I'm not saying you want to stuff as many Zebras as you can, just keep in mind what I said above. Bigger isn't always better in this case. I'm not sure what's the floorspace on the Windsor 66 but I'm sure you can fit 6 in their easily.

PM with any questions.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

My trio of zebras in a 20 gallon tank on their third spawn in 2 months would be surprised to hear they can't be bred that way I think ;). I have more males, but this one tends to like to thump the bejesus out of them in a fit of rage occasionally so he's been grounded. It doesn't seem to have affected whether or not they'll eventually spawn at all.

I also had a pair spawn in a tank by themselves another time. My other dominant male and a young female even.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I guess I am doing it bass ackwards.

13 adults and a lot of fry in a 30 gal breeder (36x18x13). There is a ton of rock, slate and wood and 2 males are spawning fairly regularly.

4 spawns, 2 from each male were left in the main tank. Then to hedge things, the next 2 spawns (1 from each) were pulled to a growout tank. The male, fry and cave were moved and when the fry were evicted/left inside 48 hours, the the male and cave returned.

The most agression I have actually witnessed to date was a dad on fry rejecting the advances of a couple of females.

If I have learned nothing else in my meager 6+ years of keeping fish, it is that there are very few hard and fast rules when it comes to keeping fish. What works for one keeper is anothers disaster and vice versa.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.