Skinny teenager

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Skinny teenager

Post by McEve »

lately one of my teenagers has lost a lot of weight. He's now downright skinny :( All the others, same size, are nice and fat. His tummy is black.

Any idea what's happening?
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

maybe he is sick

i get the same problem with with dwarf puffers when there sick they get really thin even when there eating and then they die...

normally its internal parasites sadly i cant treat it in puffers because they don't like medicine but maybe you could treat the zebra if that's what it is?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

He's not in any way acting sick, except that he tends to be a bit more out in the open than usual.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

my puffers don't act sick until its to late to...
they just look hungry
Thebuddy is planning his tank
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

sounds like a parasite to me too. i know its a big problem with discus fish especially.... they can even pick them up from frozen bloodworm! if it has a paracite or worm in its stomach then no matter how much it eats it will lose weight.... you can get treatments for this tho, that would be my advice!
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Sounds parasitic in cause to me too. I've treated intestinal parasites in fish successfully using Metronidazole. I'm not sure if you guys in Europe have access to the same stuff, but I've used it in tanks with L046s in before with no ill effects to the Zebs so if you can find some it should be fine to use (although, of course, if you separate him for treatment then that's always the best option).
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I can remember reading an article about feeding pl*cos seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, ect...) to either deworm them or prevent worm infestation. Not sure which?

If trying this method interests you then the seeds need to be unsalted and contain no additives (similar to bird feed), they don't need to have the outer shell removed as this plays a part in the process.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

only the left side of his tummy is black now. He's getting a bit more listless.

I did a desperate measure, wet my finger with garlic oil and rubbed it on his lips. I know it will wash off in the water almost straight away, bit if it is an internal parasite then only a bit of garlic should be needed inside him.

I did get a steal on a cartoon of red bloodworms about 3 weeks ago :evil:
Last edited by McEve on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Another non-medical option for parasites:

Raise the temperature of a hospital tank by 1-2 degrees per day until it hits 95f. Leave it there a week then reduce it by 1-2 degrees per day again until it's back to normal.

During this time, be wary of uneaten food since it will rot/fungus quicker.

I've used this method successfully too.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Metronidazole is marketed as Flagyl, also, an anti protozoal agent for people. You might be able to get a Dr. to write you a prescription for some. I dose it at 400mg/10 gallons of water with daily 50% water changes and 90 degree temps. If you have one that's getting listless the odds are that they'll all be infected, he's just losing the battle the fastest. You might try soaking daphnia in garlic with the temperature raised as high as you're comfortable with in order to get him eating it. If he'll eat metro soaked food it's much more effective but it obviously tastes nasty, as most fish just pick it up and spit it right back out again.

If you have access to it, I've had great luck using flubendazole for internal parasites but it's a bit difficult to get your hands on here lately. It's much easier on the fish though, IME.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings :(.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'll see what I can get my hands on. If it's a case of the bloodworm infecting the fish I have three out of four tanks infected.

Thanks for your your advice, I'll see what I can get out of it. If unsuccessful I'll loose 90% of my adults and fry
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

*hugs*

Good luck McEve and great thinking on the garlic oil on his lips!

My thoughts are with you.

- Angela
Pete
Obsessed!!

Metro

Post by Pete »

If Metronidazole isn't easy to come by over there, it's available from Jehmco here in the USA (http://www.jehmco.com - a great supplier in my experience) and I know they ship stuff to Europe (although I don't know whether they're allowed to export Metronidazole).

The good(?) news is that parasites usually takes quite some time to kill a fish so if that's what it is you've got time to remedy the situation.. And I agree with Barbie - if one has it, they probably all do but I'd treat one in isolation first and verify that the treatment has had a beneficial effect before moving on to the rest.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

he's in isloation.

I've tried a fewt hings, but it will take a few days, or even weeks before it becomes evident that the treatment is working.

If worse come to worse I've lost my entire breeding stock.
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

If worse come to worse I've lost my entire breeding stock.
I'm sure it's not going to come to that. Heck.. Worst case, mail 'em here and I'll fix 'em and return 'em :D

I'd mail you some metronidazole but I signed stating that I wouldn't sell it on :| Personally in the absence of decent meds I'd start the heat treatment.