What's wrong with my baby?

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Great, thanks Rob! :D

The fry is doing fine, he's gone into hiding with his mates, and he's feeding.

It all makes sense to me now. What happened at the same time as I stopped feeding the Tetra Discus was that I also started more frequent water changes. The left over home made shrimp mix must be removed after min 24 hours, or it will go mouldy. Therefore a consequense of starting with only this food was more frequent water changes; water with 0 in hardness, so if there was any buildup of hardness it would be diluted immediately.

I'm just happy he's doing good, and will make sure to add some hardener to the water in the future.

Crossing my fingers this is it and that he will have no relapse! :roll:
Prune Tracy
Forum Follower

Post by Prune Tracy »

Barbie, Rob, and McEve,

I've been sitting back without comment for some time now. First, let me express my condolences on your respective loses. Now let me express my graditute because I will no longer have to experience this tragedy. The water here is like your's, McEve. No hardness what-so-ever. I'm currently in the process of arranging a 40G species tank for my zebras and I was debating over whether or not to harden my water. Having read this, I know that I will need to. The number of fry that will be saved for your loss will be great. Your losses are not in vain.

Thank you.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This is what a forum is all about. Sharing experiences and joining forces to try to find a solution.

If my baby didn't die for nothing, but we have learned something from it, and that will benefit another batch of babies, then that feels good!

Thank you Tracy, and good luck with your set up! :D

The GH in the baby tank is now 6, I think that might be a bit too much, and will try stabilizing it on 4.

It will be interesting to see what readings Barbies and Robs tanks have, hopefully we'll find what's best for the fish!
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Sorry it took so long to reply. I got that cold/flu/nastybug that was going around and I spent a week just wishing I'd die and get it over with!

The hardness in my QA tank would definitely have been lower in those first two spawns. That was back when I would use a full week of rainy season to get the parent stimulated, then just 25% tap changes weekly once they'd spawned. Now I do one large RO change once the females are conditioned and it almost always works within a day or two. It will be interesting to see if I ever have a problem again. Thanks McEve :) I just attributed it to the lack of oxygen because I've had some problems with that with the L260.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]