There at it again

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

There at it again

Post by zebrastorey »

It has only been 38-40 days and she is in there again :shock: how long does it normally take for a female zebra plec to be ready to spawn again?
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

It can very on a lot of factors. Conditions, time of year, availability of food, etc.

Last year when I had my first spawn I had a second spawn within 21 days, however I cannot be sure that it was the same pair or even female.

Over the last twelve months I have kept everything almost constant and my fish breed every 6-8 weeks.

I am interested to see how they are over the next few months to see if there is any change in this pattern.

Congratulations on the spawn
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

i wont say spawn just yet as they could just be messing around :oops: but it is 100% the same pair as they are the only mature pair i have and she has been in there all day today.
Thanks for the reply Shimmy :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

A female can be ready for the next spawn in 30 days, but more often it takes about 6 weeks before she's reday again. This vary a lot though, depending on the female. Some are more... eager.. than others :)
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

A point I have found is the volume of eggs laid is less tif the time between spawns is short. I did have two consecutive spawns within four weeks but the latter spawn only produced one egg.

I would not like to stste this as a general rule of thumb but usually the longer I wait the larger the clutch of eggs. Though I have only been lucky enough to have a maximum of 7 eggs in one spawn. I have yet to reach the heady heights of double figure spawns
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

One egg! :shock:
She only laid six the first time yup looks like i got a long way to go til i reach double figures too :cry:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Shimmy wrote:A point I have found is the volume of eggs laid is less tif the time between spawns is short.
I believe this might be true as well. I have one demale that only lays egg once every 4-6 months, but when she does she lais 20+

Other spawns where the female lays egg about every second month or more often usually produce about 10-15 eggs. It might be a matter of what the individual female is capable of of, as well as the time interval ofcourse.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Well i managed to get a peek today and he has got eggs. Thankfully looks to be more than one egg but they have chose a really bad time to do it as i am going on holiday for a week on Tuesday and am going to have to leave in the care of my sister :x :x :( :( :cry: :cry:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

At this age I wouldn't let anybody do anything but to turn the light on and off - if you don't have a timer for it that is :D

The male won't eat, the fry doesn't need food - let them alone for the week you're gone ;)