New to the Zebra Forum

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Awugod

New to the Zebra Forum

Post by Awugod »

Hello all. I'm new here to the Zebra forums. I don't have any zebras yet, but would like to maybe start a breeding colony. I'm not looking to start anytime soon, but been poking around here and there reading some posts and articles trying to gather some info. Right now all I have is a 20gal with various FW community fish and a couple of plecs (clown and BN). I think that before I attempted to breed zebras I would like to try my hand with another species of plec since I am new to fish breeding. So any reccomendations on a plec that may be a good one to start on would be greatly appreciated. Once I feel as though I have a hang of that one I will feel a bit more comfortable taking an attempt on zebras.

Anyways, I look forward to getting some much information from you all.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Hi Awugod,

Good to have another member on board, and I hope you enjoy the forums. If your interested in breeding zebs at some point then you won't find a better source of info than here, there's lots of very knowledgable people frequenting these boards.

If your looking for another plec to breed first before trying your hand with zebs (which is an excellent and very responsible way to learn) then try the BN's. Especially since you already have one, plus they're a great 'starter plec' for learning how to breed plecs.

Once again welcome to the site.

Plastic Mac
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Welcome to the the forum Awugod!

God to see you are doing abit of reserach before jumping straight in!

You will definately find some good info here, so feel too look around and ask away!! it is a very friendly and increasingly informative wee community.

Enjoy.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Awugod and welcome to the forum. :D

It's good to see that you are doing your howework first before taking the plunge and getting some zebras, I wish I had done that. :roll:

A good "starter" pleco with which you can gain some valuable experience would in my opinion be the common bristle nose pleco. Their breeding behaviour is very similar to that of zebras and they are relatively easy to breed. From there you could make the jump to one of the more commonly available Hypancistrus such as L333, L134 or L066 if you feel that you require more experience.

Regards.

Adam