Hello from Canada

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Abbyrose

Hello from Canada

Post by Abbyrose »

I have been haunting this site for about six months, reading and learning. As a relatively new fishkeeper, it will be a while before I attempt to purchase any zebras (I fell in love with them long ago) because there is so much to learn about good fishkeeping, first. I joined FishIndex in July 05, under the same name, and they have helped a great deal. with general knowledge.

I have one concern that bothers me: How is this wonderful species being conserved and preserved wrt no new additions from the wild gene pool. Are there enough zebras in captivity to keep the species viable, without interbreeding, for the home aquarist's enjoyment and species preservation?

A while ago I searched for ways and numbers of genetically distinct adults required to keep the species healthy and viable. I didn't find any revealing answers other than someone at Pleco fanatics believing the species will no longer be in the home aquarium within ten years. I sincerely hope; this will not be the case. Perhaps someone here can shed light on my query.

Thank you,

Rose
jeroentje
Obsessed!!

Post by jeroentje »

Welcome on the forum!
Abbyrose

Post by Abbyrose »

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if anyone here was friendly.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm sorry for the late reply, I guess we have to put it down to christmas and family affairs taking extra time :D

Welcome to the forum Abbyrose! I hope you'll enjoy the site and find information relevant to your interests! If not, ask away and someone will give you advice I'm sure! It's a very friendly forum, and I'm sure you'll like it here :)

About the Zebra not being available in 10 years time, I don't think that will happen. That is what this site is all about, to breed them and exhange genes. This fish will survive!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Hi Abbyrose and welcome. :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Abbyrose and welcome to the forum. :D

It's good to hear that you are finding the forum useful to build up on your knowledge of H.Zebra.

With regards to the continued availability of H.Zebra in home aquaria, I'm with McEve on this one. I firmly believe that the survival of the species is pretty much safe, unfortunately the same can not be said for the wild population. The number of captive bred zebras is steadily increasing through the endeavours of various breeders. Although we are years away from zebras being as readily available as they used to be, with a lot of hard work it will happen.

Regards.

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Abbyrose

Welcome to the site, and glad you have already found it useful.

The initial idea behind the site was to simply provide a record of my experience whilst breeding these wonderful fish. It has progressed however, and has reached an audience of dedicated and knowledgable breeders, hence the amount of data and information be are building up. This is just the start!!!! There are plans afoot for a great deal more information, so watch this space. I don't think that the number of zebras in captivity will decrease now, it can only increase, as more and more breeders become successful.

Hopefully this site will assist people with a netweork that will reduce the amount of inbreeding and promote them to exhange fish. We will just have to wait and see!!!! :wink:

Anywa.. I'm rambling, it is a while since I made it onto the forum,......so I seem to be getting it all out!! :lol:

Have fun and enjoy the site, good to have you here.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

welcome abby hope this site will answer your quest for improving the genetic viability to save the future of this fish. if i am not mistaken I read some that there is a 15 year old breeding colony that are still breeding to this day it might have been 10 years maybe some one can find that post just to help me and abby out. good luck