Female left cave male still sittin at back!!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Female left cave male still sittin at back!!

Post by Shell231 »

I had a little peek inside after i noticed the female had left ( after a 5 days sit in ) and i couldn't see any signs of eggs BUT!! could there be a few and the male is consealing them quite well?

I think it is weird he is right at the back if there is nothing in there any thoughts on this?
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

thats great news Shell thats what happened with mine when they spawned i didn't think anything was there but it turned out he was really good at hiding them, sounds like u may have a clutch of eggs in there.....well done :D

I know its tempting but try not to spook him with the torch.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I wouldn't think anything of it but it is just he had a female in there for such a long time thats why i am desperate to find out, but i am trying not to look with a torch as a few members have had tragic consequences with the torch.
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

lol i know its far too tempting aint it, i would leave it for about 5 days then try for a quick peek with the torch it is easier to see them once hatched. The male is probably sitting on top of the eggs at the moment fanning them with his fins and rolling them around.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I also found it hard not to peek. And when I finally gave in and had a good look with the torch, the dad abandoned the cave. Let him do his job... you'll be glad you did!!!!!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Are the eggs tiny? i would have no clue to what size they would be if he is hiding them he is doing a very very good job, i have seen with the torch ( i looked once and once only ) he was about 1 to 2 cm's off the back would he just be watching them or would he just generally want to hide at the back?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

The eggs are pretty huge actually. About the size of a small polystyrene ball from a bean bag, if you can imagine that. They are easily twice the size of cory eggs, if not more. My guy was hiding at least five eggs, but probably more like 7-8 (judging by the empty egg casings I found). If there was more, I don't know. And I couldn't catch a glimpse of any of them. The first I saw of them was when he kicked two of them out into the tank the day before they hatched.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

i know this sounds a bit annoying but when you had a peek was your male moving around mine hasn't moved his head from the back right but his body has moved backwards and forwards when i was looking, bugging me i really wanna see what he is hiding! lol i am growing more confident in the days passing when he hasn't done his usal trick of putting his tail out or me even been remotly able to catch a glimpse of his tail.

COME ON THE EGGS!!! :D
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

sounds like he is just being a good dad and looking after the eggs, he will stay with them until they hatch then he may venture to the front of the cave. Try and stay patient it will be worth it when u see all those tiny zebs, hope it all goes well.

Is this your first spawn?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

yes it is my first time spawning anything!! i am so excited!!

Yolk sacs last for a week dont they?

After that feed small high protein foods?

All these questions lol i do kow the answer to them just checking really

I HAVE PUT THE TORCH IN A SAFE PLACE!! NO MORE PEEKING!!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

The yolk sacs last a little longer than a week if I remember correctly. You'll know. Just keep an eye on them. When you can't see it, it's gone! :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Shell,

You can usually tell if a male is sitting on eggs even if you can't see them. As you have noticed the male will remain deep in his cave. Another sign to look out for is the position of the males head in the cave, if he is indeed sitting on eggs his head will be slightly elevated from the floor of the cave, the bigger the egg mass the higher his head. He should also be gently fanning his fins most of the time. You may also see him appear to mouth something from time to time, this will be when he is either cleaning the eggs or turning the egg mass.

Keep us posted.

Adam
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I am dieing to look i cant say i have noticed his head elevated but i wasn't really looking for that, he still hasn't venture to the front of his cave at all, still holding high hopes for at least 1 fry!! :D:D

I noticed this morning 2 white balls with fungus on them at the front of his cave, could this be infertile eggs he has rejected or just.. well i dont know?

Fertile eggs are a yellowish sort of colour aren't they?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Adam,

Would his head be constantly over the eggs or would he just do that when he feel the need to maintain them?

When should i expect around abouts for him to pop back out she has been gone for 3 days now? friday/saturday maybe?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

If he's kicked out fungused eggs, remove them. The fungus can spread. But at least you know for sure now that he's got eggs. Just relax... it won't be long now. Just let him do his thing. After all, HE'S the one doing all the hard work!!! :roll: