New Clutch of eggs !

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Matrix99

New Clutch of eggs !

Post by Matrix99 »

I just saw a new clutch of L46 eggs. not sure how many need to count them tonigth. :D

I cold the water and my idea was to leave the tank to rest until next Year. after two weeks I now found a clutch of eggs in one of the caves.
So seems to me that somebody don't want to take a break ! :P
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Go On Son!!

Congratulations mate. Let us know how they do.

rob
Tom26000

Post by Tom26000 »

Cracking news! Will love to see some pics of the fry as they grow. :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Great news Matrix, there's just no stopping your lot. So how many youngsters do you have at present, I know that you have 33 adults. :D
Last edited by Adam on Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Well done matrix :D
any chance off getting some off your zebs to have a word with mine :wink:
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Damm ! They were infertil ! Male eat them. I think he was amateur.
anyway he is back to the main tank...

speaking of numbers beside of the adults I have 28 F1's in a separate tank. Please grow faster !!!!!! :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Where are you from Matrix99? I would like to think you're not too far from me :lol:
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

From my reading and personal experience, first spawns are usually infertile. I haven't a clue why though.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Hi McEve,

I spend my life in the American Continent. 1/2 time in Mexico & 1/2 time in USA.
Yes I am far away from pretty Europe :cry: .

A.O.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

What a shame, we could have traded young fish to get new blood into our breeding stock.. although that isn't really a problem for you I guess :D

I've heard quite a few reports of the first spawn to fail, but not necessarily because the first spawn is infertile, even though I don't doubt that happens as well. Often the failure of producing young ones in the first spawn are due to the the males inexperience, so he either ends up eating the eggs, or the fry are get out of the cave at a far too early age, so gets eaten by other fish.

The latter happened in my first spawn, he ate most, and the rest ended up outside the cave while they were newly hatched. Luckily I was there to rescue the three refugees that made it out of the cave, and they are still happy and healthy :)