Please help my Wallet !!!

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Matrix99

Please help my Wallet !!!

Post by Matrix99 »

Hi,

My Fluval 403 Canister got air and burns out !!! :x
Need to buy another canister. Wich brand and model You recommend. To be honest I don't want to spend a fortune in one of those eheims.
but any other choice ?

Please help my wallet !

Thanks.
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

You may not want to spend the money on an eheim but you will never go back to a fluval again. You could also use sponge filters. I find these the easiest to keep clean, although you may need multiple ones for tanks with lartger fish.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Matrix,

The Prime 30 is a good external filter.

However, you will do well to beat Eheim. Filters are the life force of a tank, so its always worth spending that bit extra.

Are all your F1 zebras taken? I would be happy to take some off your hands, it would probably pay for your filter no problems! :wink:

Kind regards

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Matrix 99,
One solution would be to connect a powerhead to the output of your fluval, so the powerhead pulls the water through your fluval.
I have had fluval externals for many years now and have never had any functional problems, apart from a worn out impeller, which was quite easy to change. In fact when I needed a new one a few months ago ,I bought another 203 instead of the new ?04 range , which reputedly has quite a few problems.Even now, the ?03 range is heavily discounted due to the new 04 range, especially from the mail order suppliers..
The only time I get air trapped in the top of the fluval is after a filter clean out, or if the filter is swiched off for a period of time(due to denitrification).I remove the air in the filter by turning it on its side briefly, while switched on.
I find that Eheims are overpriced.
Regards,
Des :lol:
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

hi matrix i used to use fluval filter but then turned too eheim and i have never looked back , no problems and great performance.

You can pick up some second hand ones on e bay and some cheap brand new ones
Adam

Post by Adam »

All my tanks are filtered with Eheim canister filters, two of which are thermos. I had a Fluval years ago it was fine for a while, the impeller went once and eventually the whole thing burned out.

I agree that Eheims are pricey but you can not beat their build quality, I have one Eheim canister filter that has been running for about 10 years and I haven't even replaced the impeller yet.

The latest Eheim models have a suction device on top that makes it much easier to prime, no more mouthfuls of tank water. :D
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

I like eheim too, but I recently bought an aqua-pro in germany, and you'd think it where an ehaim from a distance. Hope it's as good, I'm told they are for a fraction of the cost.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Ivan
yes i have seen those models, but do they have the automatic siphon button at the top like the eheim pro,s 2
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Ok :D Thanks for your responses ,

My Local fish club is going to have their huge auction (next week). I am going to check if there is any Good Canister there. My tank is not at risk I have a magnun 350 too and another homemade Canister. I will keep an eye on Eheims !

Thanks for saving my wallet ! 8)

<'((((>< (This fish is a present for you guys).
rosey

Post by rosey »

what about either a second hand eheim or a eheim ecco???
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I know that I personally will never sell my eheim filters. The other stuff I have kicking around, yes, but my eheim? NEVER! That canister is amazing. There are three or four types of "eheim knockoffs" kicking around that are quite a bit cheaper, with the same style of media chambers. You might look into one of those.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I just lost a Jaebo 912, an Eheim clone, after 6 months.
Get the Eheim.