Can't keep it to myself any longer!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Can't keep it to myself any longer!

Post by Mindy »

Last weekend my big male trapped a female. She was in his cave for four days before he let her out. But I have been unable to see anything as he's remained so tightly squashed to the back of the cave. So I couldn't really be sure what was going on and so kept quiet about it. But he has remained in his cave all this time. Last night I looked in to see two eggs had rolled out of the cave, both with little red streaks in them. So... I'm sure now. I've had my first spawn. Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! :D

Dad is still in cave tending to whatever is left of the brood. I have no idea how many there are as I'm reluctant to shine the torch in the cave. I guess it'll just have to be a surprise!! The two eggs I have put in a breeder trap under the outflow of the spray bar for circulation and aeration. I could put an airstone in too if it's necessary.

Anyway... about time I shared the good news! Hooray! My first spawn!!! 8)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congrats Mindy!!!! :mrgreen:

A male remaining deep in his cave usually indicates that he either has a female trapped or that he is caring for spawn.

I would put the airstone in the breeding trap as well. The extra water agitation will move the eggs around occasionally and I believe it simulates the male turning the eggs and may assist with their development.

Congrats once again and don't forget to post up some pictures. :D

Adam
Last edited by Adam on Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

The female was released on day four. So she's definitely not in there. I do head count every day and she is now amongst the tank dwellers again. I thought I MIGHT have caught a glimpse of eggs the day he let her out of the cave, but I couldn't be sure, so I kept schtum about it.

With the release of these two eggs from the cave and dad still inside fussing around with something I can't see, I'm sure we will be hearing the pitter patter of tiny fins soon. Providing nothing goes wrong of course...

Everything crossed! :P
Adam

Post by Adam »

For some reason eggs or fry can be kicked out of the male's cave occasionally. Barbie gave me a great tip a while back, if you prop the cave up slightly at the front so that the back is lower down it helps to prevent eggs/fry getting accidently kicked out.

If the male has made it this far then everything should be ok, spawn eating usually occurs very early on.

Are you planning on taking the fry or will you leave them with the male?

Good luck.

Adam
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I will leave them with their dad... as nature intended. I can't help but think it's better that way. Apart from the two orphans in the breeder of course. :( I couldn't just leave 'em lying around the tank, so I decided to trap those ones just in case. All fry is precious as far as I can see. Hand reared or not.

I was wondering though... the two eggs in the breeder, have just the tiniest streak of red in them. I reckoned yesterday was either day four or five after the female left the cave. Should they be more developed? Or are we still on track? I have no idea what the ones look like inside the cave. Dad is VERY protective and I can't see the slightest thing.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I prefer to take the fry from dad but that's just my personal preference. There's no reason why they will not do just as well left with dad.

The development of the two eggs you have in the breeder trap appears to be about right. I have found that development is quicker if tank temperatures are warmer. I had a spawn a while back while there was a bit of a heat wave going on and my tank temperatures were a couple of degrees above normal. The batch of spawn hatched a day before I was expecting them to. I'm sure I didn't miscalculate as I keep a zebra diary, how sad. :roll: Judging from the development you describe I would say that you have about another three days to go. It's hard to say at what stage of development the other eggs will be, I have found that not all of a spawn will hatch at the same time. There can sometimes be a whole day between the first and last egg hatching.

Regards.

Adam
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Don't worry. I keep a fish diary too. It has all my tanks in it, but most detailed information is for the Zebras... TDS, pH, happenings, etc. Of course, the day I noticed the female trapped is in there too... :) It would be silly not to keep track. There's enough to try and keep track of in normal day to day life... details like the goings on in our zebra tanks is too important to forget!

Thanks for the advice. :wink:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Well done, it's great to hear some good news. Hope it all goes well and keep us posted.

My zebs were all put into the same tank yesterday, so hopefully once they've settled in I'll be right behind you! :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I went to put the airstone in the breeder this morning and one of the eggs has hatched!! :D It wiggled away from the stone. I was very surprised. The other one hasn't hatched yet but I will keep an eye on it so it doesn't fungus or anything. You never know, it might be hatched by the time I get home this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

And a big thank you to all who have given me advice to get me this far... and for the exciting times ahead! :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Congratulations on your first spawn Minyd!! Well done!

Good luck with your babies! And remember I'm the auntie :lol:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Well of course you are McEve! It goes without saying! :wink:
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Sorry I missed this, been working away for a few days.

Great news Mindy, first spawn too, whooo!!!! :D