Do you leave your fry alone

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Do you leave your fry alone

Post by DANthirty »

I know im jumping the gun a little here, but does anybody here leave there fry with there adults the whole time through, and let the parents take care off the fish, the reason i ask is the way ive set up my tank is that it would be very hard for me to take the one cave out as ive made many caves in like one structure for the fish , so there for if they were to spawn i would have to leave them on there own to bring up there young.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Dan

It depends on the male. If the male does a good job then I just leave him to do this thing. If on the otherhand he has a habit of eatin gthe eggs, or the fry have difficulty surviving in the tank, then I'll remove the eggs on day 4 just before they hatch. That way the male does the most of the work keeping the eggs clean. I usually feel a tad guilty, but I get over it the minute i see the wrigglers. :lol:

rob
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i only dream off that day :(
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If there's any eggs coming this time I have decided to leave them with the male. Got to give him a chanse I guess, and besides, don't think I can handle the nerve wrecking experience of handling the rearing myself one more time :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Providing the male is not an egg eater is the mortality rate for the fry the same as hand rearing? In other words do more survive with or without help from dad?

Post by Guest »

Hi;

In my opinion Dad will do a good job taking care of the eggs. But You can avoid many dangers tacking the cave out of the main tank (Male & eggs). After the Yolk sack consumed also taking care of the babies alone. (ensure enough supply of food for the babies & no predators).
Good Luck 8)
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Anonymous wrote:Hi;

In my opinion Dad will do a good job taking care of the eggs. But You can avoid many dangers tacking the cave out of the main tank (Male & eggs). After the Yolk sack consumed also taking care of the babies alone. (ensure enough supply of food for the babies & no predators).
Good Luck 8)