Sturisoma ( Royal Whiptail)

If you've got a breeding project on at the moment, (preferably fish related), let us know and you might even get added to the spawn list..whe....hey!

Des
Mentally Certified!

Sturisoma ( Royal Whiptail)

Post by Des »

Hi Everyone,
I have had some success in the last month of Breeding Sturisoma Whiptails.
They bred in my plec tank, but was only able to obtain a 50% hatch rate.As an experiment I increased the amount of RO and remarkably had a 100% hatch rate on the last batch.Since they laid their eggs on the side glass, could not remove the eggs but managed to rescue some fry from this last batch.
Will try and convince them to lay their next batch on something removable, like an uplift tube.
Hopefully my breeding Sturisomas should be featured in an article to be published in Tropical World's February issue.
Below is a picture of the latest batch of eggs being looked after by the male.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... maEggs.jpg

Regards,
Des.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Very cool, DEs;)
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Congrats, great effort :)
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well done Des and Congrats on the forthcoming article in tropical world :D . There's no stopping you now, looks like the increased percentage of RO water improved the hatchrate. Perhaps the same could apply to zebra spawns.

Regards.

Adam
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Well done Des..im for some of them......where did you get em from .they look good.
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Sid,

When are you coming up to London, or should I say down to London?.
I got my stock 6 months ago as adolescents from A guy ( who is now a friend) in Horsham who advertised in Aquarist classifieds. I saw one last week at Maidenhead Aquatics for £35. I had also bought a pair from Essex a few months ago For £40 the pair but they never survived. Will probably sell the youngsters for approx £5 each in a few weeks time if all goes well.

Regards,
Des.