Breeding Ancistrus Temmicki (L144)

If you've got a breeding project on at the moment, (preferably fish related), let us know and you might even get added to the spawn list..whe....hey!

Caesars
Obsessed!!

Breeding Ancistrus Temmicki (L144)

Post by Caesars »

Hi folks,

we are proud to show you our grandchildren!!! Our lovely F0 L144s bred last March and the colony of the fry we kept bred again in totally different water conditions and at a really young age!!! Here are some photos:

Daddy guarding eggs

Wringlers in cave

Fry (ventral view) on the glass.

Enjoy

Caesars and Polleni
John

Post by John »

Congratulations, nice pics !

But forget about te parents beeing F0, they aren't.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

LOL! I was going to say someting along those lines myself John but didn't dare!

Fantastic pics! BN's are fantastic parents! Such a joy! I have 3 of the more unusual ancistrus species waiting for them to breed! I don't trigger them but the majority are ready to go!
John

Post by John »

discusbabe wrote:I was going to say someting along those lines myself John but didn't dare!
Why?
I think a forum is there to learn.
And especially this fish is very interesting because it's all about inbreeding and it's even not shure if it's a L144 :wink:
Greetings,
John
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Wild caught? Althought the L144 is rare to come by in most areas of the UK I would doubt these are wild caught but would be happy to be proven wrong :D
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Thanks all. But you got us a bit perplexed now. We bought the parents as wild caught and have reasons to believe they were too. Before disclosing these, however, we would like to know what makes you believe they weren't (particularly as you all seem to be positive they weren't without so much as having seeing a piccy of them).

Btw discusbabe, which of the ancistrus species do you have?
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

From what I recall, L144 does not occur in the wild in the yellow form.

Or it may do, but the likelihood of it surviving is fairly limited and to get a pair.

Also read that this is line bred to produce the yellow form.

Take care

Dave
John

Post by John »

Hi Caesars,

Read the last paragraph on this article:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=310

So don't be surprised if you get wigglers with brown spots or even a complete brown coloration.

If you can read german i can provide you with several links about this subject.
Greetings,
John
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Thanks for the response all. Xanthic forms do appear in the wild (hence the reference in the article). Their chances of survival are lower than "normal" forms depending on the environment but "lower" doesn't mean "none".

For instance, suppose that a xanthic form is in danger in the wild as it is more visible by predators because it doesn't blend well in the background. This means a xanthic form specimen is more likely to die in young age as opposed to another, non-xanthic form individual. However, if this fish is removed from its natural environment (i.e. where it was born) at a young age and is reared in a protected environment (eg home aquarium) it will survive fine. The mutation is natural and very well fixed, so a pair of these fish has no reason to produce other colour form fry. In other words, if one xanthic specimen is bred with another specimen of its kind the mutation is homologous for all the fry - therefore no other colours should appear.

Our original pair has been spawning for 5 years now and we have never seen any brown spots on the fry, even the F2, which proves that the mutation is very well fixed.

As for the report by Knut Kjesbu the following should be noted: in lots of other genera it has been observed that after a series of successful spawns in the aquarium the original, wild caught pair, produces fry with "deformities". These could include colour deformities. We have personal experience of this with wild caught Neolamprologus brichardi and several wild caught haplochromine species from the Lake Victoria. We have observed deformities including hatched backs, fading of colour even complete absence of a particular hue from the fry. This may be phenotypical, which is also true about the spawns indicated in the article by Knut Kjesbu.

Also note that the argument about the brown blotch being an indicator of the re-appearance of the brown allelle in the fry (due to the original cross breeding of a xanthic form with a normal colouration form) is rather questionable. If that were the case, the fry should be totally brown, rather than having only one brown blotch. This is due to the fact that the brown colour is the dominant allele and should, therefore, if re-emerged, suppress the yellow one. The case referred to by Knut Kjesbu points more to a second point mutation, some kind of trophic deficiency or other environmental factor which would lead to a phenotypic change. Nobody can be sure that this brown blotch is directly linked to a genetic change.

This said, any other references - or thoughts - on the topic are very welcomed, particularly if backed up by scientific data.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

While hardly scientific, which the Datz book on LNo's is not.

To quote what is said about L144 " Mutation of a dark cloured wild form, the strain was fixed by back crossing. Initially only one, wild caught specimen of this colour form was imported."

I'm not disputing that others may have been imported since, but logic to me suggests that this mutation is very infrequent.

As in the article, and with what John has suggested brown colouration is likely to occur. If this is not happening then it suggests to me that the fixing of the uniform colour will take several generations to do.

In addition according to Datz, the latest edition the point of collection is unknown (Which is unusual for Datz), which leads me to believe that very few have ever been imported.

Nevertheless they are very nice fish, and congratulations on breeding them.

Take care

Dave
John

Post by John »

Caesars wrote:Also note that the argument about the brown blotch being an indicator of the re-appearance of the brown allelle in the fry (due to the original cross breeding of a xanthic form with a normal colouration form) is rather questionable.
Sorry, have to correct you there, i have seen several with a brown blotch.
But as far as i know there are several different lines of the L144 in europe.
Some bloodlines are considered more "pure" then others, the ones with undevided (straight) tentacles on the nose should be more "pure".
Speculations in germany are that the L144 is the xanthic form of the Ancistrus sp. Rotpunkt "Rio Paraguay" as discussed in this thread:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3053
Greetings,
John
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

And after all this debate, just a quick note to say the article re: the breeding is now uploaded here: http://www.mchportal.com/fishkeeping-ma ... -l144.html (hope we did the link ok this time ...).

Also, for a list of what is new in this month's update check here: http://www.mchportal.com/ under the Latest articles column.

Best,

Caesars and Polleni