Corys and angels

If you've got a breeding project on at the moment, (preferably fish related), let us know and you might even get added to the spawn list..whe....hey!

zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Corys and angels

Post by zeberdy »

Got up this morning to find cory eggs all over one of my tanks. They are probally albino eggs but I do have aldolphi in there too and I cant believe that amount of eggs can possibly be from one pair :P

Looked in the next tank and my black veiltail angels had produced a nice bunch of eggs too!
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Di.great weekend then eh
Well i got another spawning of albino ancistrus................and I put a male rsg discus ,with a brilliant turq female together on thursday nite.........and when I got back from Robs today .they were happily spawning away .so should be a good cross
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Any spare fry let me know Sid :wink: I am going ahead with that Discus tank.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Congrats to both of you.

I have noticed I often seem to get a number of my fish spawning at approx. the same time!? Could it be external conditions (light etc) or hormones in the water? Probably just coincidence! :wink:

My albino ancistrus have spawned again. I also have another gang of young kribs, my rams are courting (I really want to breed these) and even my Praecox rainbows spawned today although the neons quickly cleared the eggs.

Speaking of which. I have my 28gal tank with just 6 small L260s growing on. Could I drop the current and temp (presently very strong and 84F respectively) and put the rams, or, Praecox in here without too many probs?

Cheers

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Tom2600,
I have had Rams grow on in my 25 gal plec tank at 84 deg and powered with an Aquaclear 301 powerhead.
Regards,
Des.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Des

Thanks for the reply.

Its one of those calls I am never sure to make. The rams are thriving in the community tank, in fact the best looking rams I have ever seen with my own eyes! So I don't want to cause problems by moving them.

I would really like to breed them so I will take the plunge tomorrow and move them across.

Cheers

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Tom 2600,
The rams in my warm plec tank grew pretty fast too.(Their parents were a large strain).I bred them at Easter last year. They are now 2 1/2 " long and 1" body depth.
My next project is to "inject" some more intense colour into the larger strain by crossbreeding with some more colourful smaller strains.
I have found that Ram imports from the breeders in Europe are often infected with internal parasites and treat all my new stock with either Flubenol ( very strong aeration to be used) or Levacide(Levamisole). In fact the parents of my large rams showed signs of Camallanus worms (a dreadful disease) a few weeks after I bought them. Fortunately they spawned before succumbing to the disease.
The treatments, available from vets or mail order vet supplies, actually killed the worms but the prior damage caused internally was too great.The problem with this disease is that when the red thread like worms are visible at the vent, they are adult ( have already caused their damage) and are expelling live young .I however had to treat all my tanks just in case there was any cross infection.
These treatments also worked for me when I bought a large batch of Sidmunki loaches, and found them getting more and more emaciated and dying slowly one by one.Since using the treatments as described on www.loaches.com , they immediately started putting on weight and havent lost one since.
Good luck with your breeding. I have found the zm food range pretty good for the free swimming fry from day 1.
Regards,
Des.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Des

Thanks for all your info.

I must admit, the general standard of Rams (healthwise) is very poor.

The pair I have now were the only ones to survive from the group of eight that a bought over a year ago. The other six died within weeks of purchase from some form of skin infection that didn't respond to treatment. Although strangely I did get a spawn out of two of them but the eggs were not fertile.

I think it is more that these fish are hard to save once they go down with something.

I haven't had time to move the pair yet. I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Tom
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Tom .what did the skin infection look like ?...............was it a white patch on the head by any chance...............I lost a full tank of these because of this .only when i put some imported stock in with my own breedings
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Sid

It is a while ago now, but yes the patches were around the head area, but also on the body. The fish went from looking very healthy (two even spawned) to developing this patch like marking (infection?) and died very soon after.

I've thankfully not seen anything like it before or since. My tank conditions at the time were excellent, i'm just glad whatever it was didn't spread to any other fish I have. Maybe it is something related to Rams?

Cheers

Tom
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Tom.must have been some internal infection ,coz interpet no 9 would work for a wee while then keel over
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I had some Rams a while back, they were really healthy and then , inside a week, they became thin and died. I have spoken to several friends who work in the trade who said that they call it Fish tuberculosis ( fish TB). :shock:
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

Watch out for fish TB(Mycobacterium marinum) as it can spread to humans, no no you don't waste away and then die. It manifests itself in the form of sores or a rash on the hands, it usually enters the body through broken skin. If you experience a persistant rash/sores on your hands see your doctor as you will need a course of anti biotics to clear it up. That said fish TB can prove to be very stubborn to get rid of, It doesn't usually spread beyond the hands as it can not survive in warmer parts of the body. If you must dip any of your extremeties in your tank just be sure to wash them afterwards. :lol:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Yeah, i've hear that too :shock: , fortunatly no side effects yet, well it was 3 years ago!
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I'm also breeding some Rams that i purchased at oddballfish.com. These are probably the best i have seen around and they are all alive for the past year and about 4 females lay eggs every 20 days... :P
I'm in the process of building the fish room so i don't bother with the eggs too much, but ever third day they are gone and Rams are notorious for eating their eggs. So once I get that setup going Im going to try to pull the eggs and see what I can do.