L260 Queen Arabesques

If you've got a breeding project on at the moment, (preferably fish related), let us know and you might even get added to the spawn list..whe....hey!

zeberdy
Obsessed!!

L260 Queen Arabesques

Post by zeberdy »

At the moment they are going through a breeding frenzy and yesterday found a nice clutch of eggs. Hoping to add L46 to the breeding list sooner or later :?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI Zeberdy

Sid is desperate to try and breed L260, and has a cracking Male and female, got any special tips?

Have you got any L46's at the moment?

rob
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

The best tip I can give for breeding queens is to put the tank well out of the way of humans and when you want them to breed do a massive water change of 60% several degrees cooler than the tank temp. Once you get them to spawn stopping them is the next problem.

I have 8 Zebras at the moment and after following you advice on the web site I have a male and female currently sharing a cave so fingers crossed!
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Seems I have two males ,and after a couple of females,can you help out maybe?
I currently have c.sterbai breeding and cant seem to stop them either,along with rams ,discus ,rainbows,and killifish,and have some nice plump gold albino ancistrus ready to breed too.............its all go north o the border
Cheers bud
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Sid

must be something in the water...whaterver it is keep it away from the wife!!!!! :lol: :lol:
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Sid

It may be some time before my fry are big enough to go but I will let you know when they are.

I only have 4 adults myself (got them in a job lot of plecos). They were about 2 years old and had never produced any eggs. I studied them closely and was convinced they were all male so put them in a 3ft tank with 5 neons and 10 white cloud minnows. I've got a very strong ext filtration going in that tank and it keeps the tank quite clean. I kind of forgot about them for a few weeks (apart from feeding) and then I looked in the tank one day and thought wow where did all that mess come from..so feeling very ashamed I decided to give them a good clean out. I syphoned off 60% of the water and replaced it with water a couple of degrees cooler. I made a promise that I wouldn't let the tank get that bad again and would do a regular water change weekly. The next week while clearing up the tank I spotted the a cluster of very large eggs. Common sence told me they were too big for the neons or the minnows. Since this first time they have now spawned every six weeks with or without a water change.
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Zeb
Thanks for the advice,might need to pull mine out the caves again ,and have another look at them ,is there anything I should be looking for regarding sexing them?,i saw on the net that females have pure white bellies,is this the case?,they both seen to have "spikey" pec fins,so I tok it they were both males
Well going off to Germany now till suday ,for the 5th International Discus Championships,so should be a laugh,and if there is any plecs for sale ,which there usually is ,i might have to suggle some home :twisted: .

Cheers,and I will talk to you all when i getback,might even give Rob a call
Discusion
Forum Follower

How big beafore they can breed?

Post by Discusion »

How big/long does the L-260 have too be before they are sexual mature?

I have 4 off them 6-9 cm. 2 males and 2 females. So I hope too try breeding them :lol:
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Sid

I looked at the bellys when I first got them and swear they all had marks but now I know what I'm doing (well maybe) I notice the female is white so yes is the answer. Another way of telling is the female is way smaller than the male. The males also have longer whiskers the females are much shorter (similar to those of male/female zebras).

Discusion

As I said in this post mine were sold to me as adults and they ranges from 3" for the female and 5-6" for the males. They may well bread much smaller than this but as yet i haven't tested the theory. Note the size of the adults..alot of web sites state they only grow to just under 4" but if mine are anything to go by then this isn't correct.
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Sid

I have just managed to get 5 more queens (all female) from Tri-mar. The price they have them for is just over £16 which is the best I have seen in a long time and they are a good size. Mine are being delivered in the morning. Hope you get back from your hols in time to have a chance to get hold of these..the manager at tri-mar admitted he has made a bit of an error putting them on so low priced but as yet he hasn't altered them.
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Zeb
Did you get your L260s in ?
Need to extract the finger and give them a phone i think................or i could always sneek down to derby and steal 1 of yours lol

They had them for sale in Germany too.......29 euros each ..............god wish i had bought some ,as my mate bought 10 pairs of apistos ,and 3 breeding pais of discus ,and manages to get em on the plane.but thats another story

Sid
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Hi Sid

Yes I did get mine and they are huge! All sexed correctly and in very good health.

Maybe next time you go to Germany you could smuggle some back for me :wink:
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Zeb (whats yer real name lol)
Well took the 2 plecs out last nite for a look,1 def male,and im 99% sure now the other is a female,nice and fat ,and a white belly ,and looked swollen round the vent area.
Came home tonight ,and they were just dotting about the tank,then i went in 2 hours later ,could only find the male :( ,which was in a smal cave,just the right size for him ,searched everywhere for the female ,but couldnt find her ,so i lifted out the small cave to have a look inside,and the male had her jammed up at the top of the cave ,i could only see her tailand he was snuggled right up to her jammed solid with his fins up and out,so hopefully theu are spawning..............how long should they be in the cave?...................i though there was only room for one fish in it ,but two seems comfy
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Sid that is great news! If the male has her in the cave then this can last up to 4 or 5 days but my own experience is that eggs are there next day so fingers crossed.

I have a very simple caves for mine-two bricks stuck together with the holes in and blocked with some slate at one end.

keep me informed of their progress.

Diane :wink:
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Diane
Well they are still in the cave.havent moved all nite..............is it usually the way ,that the female goes in first ,and the male traps her in there?
she must be really squished by now,as the cave is nearly 5 inches long,and almost 2 inches wide,the male is kinda in a semi u shape ,with his belly as close to her as he can ,so fingers xed......will keep you posted