Filter Sponge Wanted

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Filter Sponge Wanted

Post by Rob »

Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of good sized filter sponge online? (I could do with a couple of bits about one square foot)

I've tried looking for the Japanese filter mat, with no luck so far, (apart from a sheet 2m x 1m on e-bay)

Also, I'm looking for intake sponges with a 1" diameter hole in the middle?

Cheers guys

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

Go to your local garden centre they usually have biggeer bits for ponds, or failing that try and upholsterer and see if they will sell you a new cushion, they type they use to refurbish suites.

As for making the holes try freezing a piece of sponge and make the hole when its frozen and it will come out easier.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Rob,
Bought my last lot of filter sponges from www.animal-house.co.uk
Look under the pond section.
Just a week ago bought an input filter sponge locally ( which is used for ponds) to use as an extra filter using a powerhead. It has an 1.1" internal hole. A 1.25 pipe should fit into it.They are 4" square and come in 4",6" and 9" lengths. Let me know if you cannot get any and I will buy one and send it to you.
Regards,
Des
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Cheers des

Your a gent. I'll check out the site and see if they post.

thanks again mate.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Rob I would advise against using the Japanese matting as it is very rigid and not easy to work with and extremely difficult to clean.

Koi keepers use this stuff in the last chambers of their bilogical filters when most if not all heavy solids have been removed by the previous filter chambers. I use to have the stuff in the fourth chamber of my koi filter and it would still become clogged over time and require "jet" washing. Most Koi outlets will supply an array of filter media including various sponge media. If you have no luck with the the supplier that Des suggested give me a shout and I'll dig out some links for you.