the export of zebra plecs/banned?

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

ricky

the export of zebra plecs/banned?

Post by ricky »

recently i put in an order for zebra plecs from brazil,they will hopfully be coming in today.but i have been told by the shiper that they have just been banned for export and that no more will be shiped out of the contry.have any of you herd the same?
Tom26000

Post by Tom26000 »

It is just the internet rumour mill at work. My local wholesaler said they are now hard to come by but their suppliers say there has been no ban imposed. It has probably been started by the suppliers to help push up the prices. How many are you getting and what price are they selling for?

Regards

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds like more scaremongering by the suppliers so as to squeeze some more £'s and $'s out of us.

I've heard that some of the smaller suppliers are unable to get zebras due to their larger competitors buying up all available stocks.

Post by Guest »

Ricky,

Does that mean that the batch that were supposed to be arriving today is cancelled ?.

Regards,
Des.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

There was a pdf document posted PC a while back that said that they were scheduled to be added to the CITES protection list and export of them would be drastically controlled this year. To date, that information has proven true. At this point, it will just be a matter of waiting to see what happens. I do know that up until last month they were still being imported, but noone can get their hands on many at a time, and they are just becoming more and more scarce here in the US. Poseidon Aquatics is a wholesale company here that now has them listed for just over 100 dollars a piece, at 2 inches.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Barbie,

That's pretty much what I keep on hearing here in the UK, infact 2 LFS managers who I am friendly with are adamant that zebras will be CITES listed by the end of the year. I honestly do think that suppliers are adding further to the speculation in order to whip up a frenzy and in doing so send prices even higher. You're right in saying that fewer shipments can be found these days. Most of the LFSs around my way haven't had any zebras for over a year now and that's not because they don't want to stock them, they just can't get get them. Some of the big boys are still getting them though, probably due to better suppliers or more spending power. Like you said though I think it is a case of waiting to see what happens.