Anyone Selling Quality Captive Zebras (L046)

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

stingr9137

Anyone Selling Quality Captive Zebras (L046)

Post by stingr9137 »

Hello All,

I'm interested in picking up some captive bred Zebras in order to setup a L046 breeding community. It is important for me to find captive zebras but not sure if any breeders will part with any of their offspring. The reason for emphasis on captive bred zebras is that I don’t want to reduce the number of wild zebras being that their numbers are dwindling.

Does anyone have quality zebras they are willing to part with? If so send me a PM with details.

- James
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

You could always try adding your location to your profile so the members have a clue about where you are located.... That might help a wee bit!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
stingr9137

Post by stingr9137 »

Ahh yes that would help. Thanks for the tip.
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

i think jerms is gonna let some go in a few months. hes from glendale.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Considering the importing of zebras has been banned for now. There's no need to restrict yourself to captive bred ones since no more wild ones will be turning up. So you might as well get what wild ones are left...if you don't someone else will.

good luck finding some. :D
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

If there are any wild caught one around how much would they cost!!?? :roll:
stingr9137

Post by stingr9137 »

OK everyone I think I've found my zebras. As long as everything goes well I should be picking some up from Jeremy in the coming months. Once the fry are at an age where they can be transported. Thanks all and especially thanks Jeremy. :D
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

nesolb wrote:If there are any wild caught one around how much would they cost!!?? :roll:

Wild ones aren't differing in price compared to captive bred ones at the moment. Any zeb regardless of it's background is commanding a high price at present.
Most prices are between £110-£180 at the moment, at least that's what I've seen...Zebs sold singley are going nearer the top of that range and multiple purchases are working out to be nearer the bottom of that range when you work out the individual price.

Keep any eye on ebay and round here... :wink: ..some will turn up.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

That's suprising considering the export ban. :shock: I would have expected wild zebra prices to have rocketed.

I've been lucky enough to get hold of 19 so I'm not in the hunt myself.
stingr9137

Post by stingr9137 »

WOW!!! 19. Thats great. I'm trying to get a hold of 6 total in the coming months and looks like i'm going to have to get them a couple at a time (unless more are available; supply is limited).
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

nesolb wrote:That's suprising considering the export ban. :shock: I would have expected wild zebra prices to have rocketed.

I've been lucky enough to get hold of 19 so I'm not in the hunt myself.
well that's only my opinion. After all how do you prove it's wild caught?..it's not like they come with a certifcate of authenticity. So you'd only have the sellers word that it's wild caught and considering how many people out there are trying to make a quick buck out of them....I wouldn't have thought the average sellers word would count for much.

edited to add..sorry bit slow today, just sunk in how many 19 is! :D wow!!!..I would love to have 19! if you feel like selling any, you know who to call :D
If all goes well I should have a total of 5 by the end of the day :D
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

You've hit the nail on the head there Plastic Mac. I was just picturing a Zebra authenticity certificate, very strange. :lol:

Yeah 19 is a pretty large group. I was, like you guys, looking to get hold of the odd one or two here and there but was lucky enough to get in touch with a guy who knew a few breeders and 6 turned in to 10, then 19 so I certainly wasn't complaining!! :) The wallet took a battering tho.
platty252
Forum Follower

Post by platty252 »

Hello all. I live in Ireland and have been looking for zeb's for quite some time now with no luck.
I have been just informed that they have turned up on the fish lists from peru. I dont know if the ban has just been lifted or they are ignoring the ban.
I have done a bit of reserch over here and the total number that i have been able to locate in this country is 6 and not even 1 pair together.
Now i'm sure there are some i haveny been able to locate but still verry few.
I turned down the offer from peru because of the small amounts left in the wild.
Some day i will come across some of these little beauties.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Glad to hear that you found some zebras James, hope all goes well. Got any spare ones going Jerms. :wink:

Regarding F0s versus F1s I personally believe that you are better off with F1s as they are fully adjusted to a captive life as opposed to F0s. I also think that they would require less stimulation to induce a spawning. As Nesolb has found out they are a lot less skitish, his F1s even eat during the day. Something I haven't yet been able to achieve with my F0s, there is also the scarcity of wild caught zebras to consider and that the wild population has sufered over exploitation.

platty252, it is highly unlikely that a shipment of zebras would come from Peru as their country of origin is Brazil. The fish you have seen listed is more than likely to be L316 which is often referred to as the new zebra plec. See attached link: http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408

Regards.

Adam
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

All kinda makes sense Adam. Although I would have thought the occasional wild one would be good just to prevent inbreeding (I've no idea how much of an issue that is though)

Quick question though, what's the F0 & F1 business? I've gathered it's wild vs captive, is this a standard term, if so were does it come from and why F's and numbers?

off the top of my head, surely WC (Wild caught) and CB (Captive Bred) would be easier to understand and no more effort?