frayed fins n 1 really fat zeb

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

pleckingpob
Forum Follower

frayed fins n 1 really fat zeb

Post by pleckingpob »

hi i got 2 zebra plecos 2 days ago they lookd really healthy wen purchased now after 3 nights both have split fins and 1 like a malteser iv only fed them brine shrimp . ther is 2 more in with the 2 im worrid abwt and ther fine thave been in for afew week now but i got them from a different person could the new ones have been kept in different water conditions i dnt no wat water mine is from the tap but the outher 2 r doin fine could any 1 help please
TwoTankAmin

Re: frayed fins n 1 really fat zeb

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Have you seen any signs of fighting? Do either of the ones with frayed/split fins show any "smudging" or whitening of areas of their body anywhere?
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

thanks 4 ur reply i havent seen thm fightin ther r plenty of hiden places but i wunt no 4 sure ther is no white areas on the plecs or smugen bt what would that b if ther wer . i phoned my fish shp were i purchased my outher 2 frm n thay sed it could b abit of stress with moven thm frm ther old tank he said thayl gt better wen setteld my ph is 7.5 is that ok .i am also consernd bwt the vfat 1 the shop sed nt t feed it 4 a day or 2 but wat abwt the outhers will thay b ok without anything 2 ...sorry 4 all the questions
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The smudging.white areas are typical when the fish have been fighting. So the fact that you don't see any is a good sign this is not an issue.

I have never followed the advice that says not to feed new fish, especially if they are in a tank where the other fish would normally be fed. If the new fish is hungry, it will eat, if its not, then it wont.

Zebras don't care a whole lot about pH as long as its not overly low or high. 7.5 is fine- mine thrive and spawn in 7.4.

Frayed and split fins will normally heal. Just make sure you are not dealing with fin rot by monitoring things. If that is an issue you will quickly see things getting worse.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

They have told you not to feed as one is bloated? could be an internal infection if its popped up overnight. Brine shrimp is used to help with that sort of thing so I doubt its just constipated :roll:
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

yeh the zebra was normal wen i gt it a just fed as normal wen i gt up the nxt day it was round i was v worrid abwt it and stil am i havent fed them lst night and it doesn't luk like its gt any better. if it is internal bactirior wat do i luk 4 and shal i treat it with interpet anti bacterial . the outher new zeb wiith just frayed fins wen i looked this mornin was happily just layed nexd to 1 of the outher zebs under a slate arch so thay rnt fightn it looked better to so thats realy good just need to find owt wats up with the outher 1 i hope i can help it thanks for replying
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

My normal routine for a bloated fish is to assume two thing- it is likely constipated and if its not basically a purely digestive issue, then there is either an internal infection or else parasites/worms. The parasite/worms would be more likely for new wild fish and the infection more likely for "established fish".

I would move the bloated fish to a Hospital tank and treat with a combo of Epsom salt and the the med most called for in terms of infection or nasties. The H tank should be bare bottom to allow you so see what the fish is eating and what it may be pooping.

Epsom raises the water hardness so it is best to administer it gradually in several doses. I would shoot for an initial amount of one tablespoon (3 teaspoons) for 10 US gallons of water. I would look to be adding it in 3 doses over about 36 hours. The meds I would dose according to label directions. If the fish is not pooping, I would increase the dosage level of Epsom gradually until it is doing so.

The H tank doesn't have to be cycled- just heated and with an air stone or sponge filter. You can change 25% of the water every other day. Be sure to do the wc before dosing that days meds and to replace the Epsom salt coming out with the old water.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

Your short hand is a little hard to read......

Go with the above advice!