1 of 7 Dies=(

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

salas13

1 of 7 Dies=(

Post by salas13 »

need some help, i found 1 of my 7 zebras floating at the bottom of the tank on its side i have a snail problem in the tank, the visible and reachable snails get smashed daily, i believe my zebra choked on a smashed snail but there were no signs of food or snails stucked in its mouth, the others look to be fine, i had just done a water change 2 days so the water perimeters are good. any ideas on what could of caused my zebra to die? i have just added a yoyo loache to help clear the snail problem , will my zebras be ok with the yoyo? zebras are about 1" to 1.5" and the yoyo is about to the size, there housed in a 30gl tank.
John

Re: 1 of 7 Dies=(

Post by John »

Don't know exactly what a yoyo loach is but i know loaches can cause death's to zebra's.

Please read this, i allready put up the google translator cause it's a site in german:

http://translate.google.com/translate?& ... aftung.htm

I suggest to get rid of the loach fast and buy some assasin snales (anentome helena) to get rid of your snail probs, works fine in my tanks.

Anentome Helena:

Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

I also had a huge snail problem, and added 3 helena snails. About 3 months later
all my snails were eaten and i was left with only helena snails. I then removed all
of the helena's but 3 to keep my tank clean. This works perfectly and would certainly
recommend them :)
Like John also mentioned I would remove the loach asap!

Good luck!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Agree on removing the loach ASAP. Aside from the fact they need to be kept in groups, the yoyo should not be in there at all - alone or in groups.

I lost 6 bristlenose to my clown loaches before i realized they should not be kept together.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

Maybe we should add a page on the website with a "top 10" of things to never do when you keep zebras?
Things like not adding loaches and feeding beef heart could be in it and I'm sure we can find more stuff?
Things like this might already be mentioned in articles, but not everyone likes to read through a wall of text imo.

This is just an idea btw if something like this is already on here I'm sorry but I looked over it then :)
salas13

Post by salas13 »

im still new to this website so im still unsure how to look through it, i did try to find about the yoyo loache on here but thanks for the replys,
Sigmar
Forum Follower

Post by Sigmar »

har_eh wrote:Maybe we should add a page on the website with a "top 10" of things to never do when you keep zebras?
Things like not adding loaches and feeding beef heart could be in it and I'm sure we can find more stuff?
Things like this might already be mentioned in articles, but not everyone likes to read through a wall of text imo.

This is just an idea btw if something like this is already on here I'm sorry but I looked over it then :)
this would be a great idea for us noobs
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Guys
How about if we create a poll of top 10 things not to do, within reason obviously. :-)

Sorry to hear about the zebra, as suggested, remove the loach although am I right in thinking there were no major physical signs of damange on the fish?

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Doug White
Forum Follower

Post by Doug White »

L046 Zebra Plecos eat snails. Like Clown loaches they suck them clear out of their shells. I would be more suspect of the water change done just before the discovered death. It is possable that a freagment of crushed snail shell caused the death upon the animal trying to eat the meat portion of the snail.