Help...

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

ZebKeeper
Groupie

Help...

Post by ZebKeeper »

I got a 2.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 ft tank with 7zebs 2 x @4.5cm and 5 x @ 2.5-3cm and prolly ~70 crs.

I notice that there is 1 small zebs stay at similar size since about half year ago and (I am worry about this), but now he got his tail nipped (upper extension is longer than the lower extension) I am not sure what is the cause of this. but the zeb still hiding and didn’t breath heavily.

I’ve experience 3 zebs dead about a year ago and all of the come out and breath heavily before dead. I don’t want this to happened again. Any suggestion?

Its hard to take the pic because lots of rocs and driftwood for them to hide and I don’t want to stress the fish..

Is it possible that the shrimp chew his tail? What should I do? I just put some melafix in the tank at the moment and do about 10% WC every day with aged water from the tap (normally I put the water from the tap straight when i do WC)

Thanks,
Ryan
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would rule out the shrimp as a cause. More likely its other zebras.

I have also noticed over the years that when one has a group of fish being grown out that there always seems to be one runt of the litter. I have also found that that this is often a correctable situation by either egtting rid of some of the largesr fish or moving the smallest one or two to other quarters. This would not be practical in your case if you want to develop a colony that will eventually breed..

However, if the situation becomes worse, it may be advisable to move the littleguy to dufferent quarters as a last resort.

You also did not provide any details on your water parameters, maint habits or feeding routines, so it is hard to access what might be the problem if it is more than a normal pecking order thing. Bear in mind as zebras age, especially the males, they become less inclined to huddle together and begin to want their own areas more.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

When you use tap water do you use a water conditioner?
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
ZebKeeper
Groupie

Post by ZebKeeper »

I dont use any conditioner. I've been doing this for yeaars, I scared that adding conditioner will cause some change in the water.

Normally I feed once everynight before I sleep and in the morning, i feed lil bit for the shrimp. I never has any left over in the tank. I also do 1 or 2 WC about 15% everyweek.

In the last 3 weeks, I've been busy and traveling interstate, so I havent did WC, and over feed them on the morning if i have to travel interstate for about 2 days. I notice that now there is lots of snails egg in the tank as well.

Is it possible that I over feed and stress out the fish? The fish is now hidding by itself as I put more hidding place since I notice the damage.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Zebras are pretty forgiving of water conditions when it comes to TDS and pH. However, they are not so forgiving of water quality. My wc regimin is 50% weekly and over filtration. Small zebras are especially intollerant of higher nitrate levels.

If you are going away for only one or two days it is better not to feed at all than to risk fouling the water from over feeding.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
ZebKeeper
Groupie

Post by ZebKeeper »

Thanks for the info regarding WC and feeding. I'll do the WC more often

Regarding the damage in the tail, is it possible that the fish get stressed and damage its tail or its because the bigger fish did it?

In the future, does 2.5ftx1.5x1.5 enough for 7 adult zebs?

If I purchase 3x1.5x1.5ft, is it better to:
1. move all the fish as soon as the tank settle.
2. move the bigger fish and left the 2 tiny one until it grow bigger then put them together.
3. wait till the smaller fish grow bigger and move all of them together (cos it will be harder to find food in the bigger thank).

the fish are
2 x 2.5cm+
3 x 3-3.5cm
2 x 4-4.5cm

thanks again.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi ZebKeeper

Just a thought you say the bottom of the tail is shorter than the top this can be caused by cleaning using the tail which they do,and can happen when you have say substrate gravel that is abrasive and they use their tail to clear and dig out.
Not saying it is cause but could be a possibility,and all this is not helped by poor water quality.:wink:

Hope this helps

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
ZebKeeper
Groupie

Post by ZebKeeper »

the tank is bare bottom. the good thing is the fish seems alright in the last few days until now. so hopefully all fine :)

the only thing possible to do the damage i think either the larger zebs or i accidentally damage the tail when i move the decoration in the tank.