unusual growth updated???????????? any help appreciated

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i think that i might have spoke to soon as i have noticed a second growth on the top of the first fishes head but looks more fluffy. also looks like his eye is sticking out on the right side.
i am beginning to think that the first filters pump might have failed as it started making noise the week before last and i changed the pump on it straight away as i had a spare for it and didn't think nothing of it untill now stupid of me. it might not of been pumping previous to it making noise although i think that i would have noticed what a time for it to fail when i just set up the new one??
although when i tested the water it seems fine. maybe i'm not looking at the colour on the test kit properly. i have been putting the test tube infront of the colours on the card and seeing which one that doesn't show up through the tubes liquid, or should i be putting next to the colour card and see how dark the liquid is and compare it that way??
what do you think on the pics is he getting worse?
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i done the second dose today the first fish is looking worse but some of the others are looking a lot better. the second sub dominant male is swimming around with his dorsal fin up. i'm wondering whether he might have had a fight with the first fish as his tail fin looks really torn and red. or it could have been the illness taking its toll?
sub dominant male
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i checked on the fish earlier only to find the first fish not breathing anymore and has passed away. :(
i can only hope that the medication will help the other fish and that there will not be anymore fatalities.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Sorry for your loss, hope your other fish will be ok. :(
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Absolutely gutted for you I hope the others are ok - :(
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Dane
Forum Follower

Post by Dane »

sorry for your loss

i would highly recomend that you treat your tank with esha 2000 really good stuff and will get any nastys that may still be in tank

Dane
Plec List. L134, L201, L46, L260
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

a second fish has died this morning. i am at a total loss the second one was not even the one with the ulser on its underside making me think this may not be the last. :cry:
i found some odd looking dead things in my second tank today when i filled it up to heat water ready for a water change on the main tank. this had untill tuesday all the fish in i got with this new tank i brought for the zebs (the new one they are in now it was though a second hand one)
i sold these fish complete with my old tank on tuesday.
so i have decided to strip down and clean the main tank and have done already on the second tank so i can put the zebs in there for the moment.
i'm not sure what to do with regards the filter media as if it contains parasites i need to get rid of it. the problem i have then is i have no cycled media.
also i need to use some of the media from the internal filter of the main tank to use on the small second tank. is there something that might kill the parasites if thats what they were meaning i dont need to remove all the filter media. any ideas will be appreciated. thanks
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i just transfered all the remaining 12 fish to the recently steralised 60 litre tank and i dosed them with esha 2000 and esha exit it says these work well together to treat a wide range of problems. the exit treatment turned the water green looked a bit scary although i checked and double checked the dosage and it was correct. when tranfering the fish i noticed that both remaining adult males had ulcers on their underside not a good sign. although they were pretty agile. all other fish seemed ok.

i can see now that the 2 that died were the largest male and largest female that i got from imer maybe 5 months ago. just my luck :(
next step is to strip down the main tank and steralise with boiling water then refill and dose with the same treatment to kill anything that may remain in the filters. i just hope the 2 males pull through with their sore looking ulsers. thanks for all the advice on whats best for my problems it is very much appreciated
John

Post by John »

Wow, that's looking real bad, hope they pull through.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I talked to a vet who I know today, he didn't a lot about fish.
But suggested rather than paying for a biopsy, to contact a university who may do it for free.
Don't know if you still have your fish frozen?
Hope you get to the bottom of this & your other fish pull through. :wink:
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i didn't keep the first one that died but i did freeze the second one so you think if i contact a uni they may try and find the problem for me as experience for themselves what type of course would they be studying vetenary or some sort of science course?
the pic above is the fish that pulled through earlier this year after getting torn apart by the alpha male you might be able to see his fins haven't grown back properly when it lost half the ray on each side. i dosed them maybe 7 hours ago the treatment hasn't killed any of them because of the stress i just hope this works
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I don't know what sort of course they would be studying, I would just contact the uni & see if they can point you in the right direction.
I am sure they will be interested.
Good luck. :wink:
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Zebedee
Sorry for your troubles.

Here is a link for a list of Exotic Pet Vets i found in a UK search; http://www.livefood.co.uk/vets.htm

Better to phone first, as i see that "The University Of Glasgow; Small Animal Hospital" is by referral only hospital.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

today i enquired at the local pet store with built in vets and i managed to get a post mortem done by someone they deal with. it cost £109 which is ok considering, i just need to know what has killed them. the others are doing fine i think so far on the ehsa treatments second dose today. i have filled up the main tank after cleaning it and have done first dose on that today. i think i will learn my lesson on buying second hand stuff and not letting the tank fully cycle itself. just gutted that i had to learn the real hard way :(
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

That's a terrible lesson to learn this way :(. Good luck with the rest of them! Hopefully the vet will have some advice that will help you protect the group from more issues.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]