Medications? what is safe?

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

rkc772
Groupie

Medications? what is safe?

Post by rkc772 »

I have a zebra pleco that has some fungus and ick at the same time...is fungus cure by API safe for them? what is the best way to treat it?
rkc772
Groupie

Post by rkc772 »

any suggestions?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have always used Maroxy by Mardel for treating fungal problems. I have never had to treat any of my zebras, so I can't say based on experience that it is fine with them. However, I have treated many other fish (uncluding plecos) and tanks with it and never had any problems and always gotten good results.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Are you sure it's fungus and ich? Is the fungus on spots the parasites have irritated? Do you know where the parasites came from? I treat for ich with a medication called proformC. It has a special process that doesn't kill your biobed like most malachite green medications. I have good luck using it at full strength on clown loaches and cardinal tetras at the store.

For true fungal infections, I treat with Cephalexin or Kanamycin. I wouldn't use it with the ProFormC though, as I have no idea if they interact. If the fungus is on a small spot on the fish, you can always catch him and dab it with iodine, as long as it's away from his eyes and gills to prevent burning with it. Anytime you have sick fish or are treating them, you should do 50% daily water changes, to both protect against poor water quality, and to remove metabolites from the treatment.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
rkc772
Groupie

Post by rkc772 »

Thank you for the advise... currently i had the tank up to temp of 88 to 90 F. and added salt (1 teaspoon / 5 gallons). the ick is gone and i am now doing 50% w/c every other day. the fungus was on the back tail. i took the ones that were infected and cleaned it, but i have to re-do it with iodine then to make sure all is good.

quick question, what triggers fungus? ick is due to stress and sudden drop in temperature.

Thank you again guys! :D