Air bubble disease

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Brengun
Groupie

Air bubble disease

Post by Brengun »

Someone who does not have zebra pleco, advised NOT to have too much airbubbles going in the tank or my fish might get air bubble disease.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

HUH????? That sure sounds like an urban myth to me.

Zebras need well oxygenated water.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Ameekplec
Forum Follower

Post by Ameekplec »

Plecs are apprently able to breathe through their stomachs, as their stomach linings are very thin, and they have capillaries running along the wall, allowing for gas exchange through the stomach as well.

I've seen some plecs go for air too, so it's not really something that concerns me (well, except for the apparent DO problem I might have if I see that).

So, really, a bubble in the tummy is nothing to worry about. Many other catfish can do this too. Corys can breathe air, as well as the botine loaches too.

For avid readers:
Podkowa D, Goniakowska-Witalińska L. 2003. Morphology of the air-breathing stomach of the catfish Hypostomus plecostomus. J Morphol Aug;257(2):147-63
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1/abstract
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Wow!

Thank you Ameekplec! I did not know that plecs can breathe through their stomachs, although I remember watching plecs go after air bubbles and just thought they were hungry and thought it was food. The link you gave us was very informative!

-Angela
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

Too many big words in the link for me. My eyes started glazing over after a minute. I will take your word for it Ameekplec. :lol: