bloated fry

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Jo
Obsessed!!

bloated fry

Post by Jo »

Hi does anyone know the cause for fry to become bloated and die, I have had a few fry die that are very bloated and 1 had a bubble looking stomach it was see through.

This is my first fry in a few years so decided to let them stay in the breeder tank rather than dismantle the tank trying to remove them( the last time i done this it stopped my fish breeding for years), I have been feeding zm discus food crushed....could it be the food?

any ideas would be appreciated

thanks
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Hi Jo

Its basically constipation, try feeding a more vaired diet & different foods on different days & even not feeding for day will help.

I have had one fry die from this, i tried feeding the middle of a crushed pee but the fish unfortunately died.

Try & feed your fish some greens to aid digestion I feed spirulina flakes & algae wafers.

Hope this helps :)
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

thanks Stevie its worth a shot...I have some other food i can try...just never thought to put anything else in as my zebs never touch their greens unless i blend it in with prawns n mussell and other things. But will give it a shot.

The fry that are dying are only about 4 days out of the dad's cave so have not had much chance to feed them various things...hopefully i will get a chance to now.

well another 1 died...this makes 5 fry :( from 2 spawns
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Jo two things occur to me. The first would be an internal deformity at birth which messes up the digestive sytem. I dont know what you could do if that is the case.

The other would be constipation as suggested above. That would likely point to diet. My zebs have always eaten some veggies and I feed all my tanks- fry and adults- all fish once a week on a spirulina and garlic flake I get from kensfish.com. He may ship to the UK, I don't know. In addition, food fI get from him that I feed to zebra fry are earthworm sticks and flakes, spirulina sticks, premium growth meal: (#00 Size). One of the best foods I have found is a cocktail I make up which is about 75% frozen cyclop-eeze and then an eqaual amount of frozen bbs and frozen daphnia. These are all very tiny foods.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Hi Jo,

Have a search on here for the words you've used ;)

What are your water stats - I believe there are a couple of very indepth threads on here that may pinpoint you problem and its cause - Too softer water...

Russell
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Ok just done some tests
temp:30
tds:300
ph:6.4
no ammonia/nitrite
can't find my nitrate tester

Good news is no more fry have died (touch wood)