Need help please

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

finetaste
Forum Follower

Need help please

Post by finetaste »

I everyone. I bought 6 zebras at 3cm 5 days ago and some of the fishs bellys dont look nice and full. My water parameters are all good. I have the fish in a 3ft tank, eheim 2213 for filteration. The tank is bare bottom, iv been feeding the fish frozen bloodworms that i finely cut in too very small pieces, crushed flakes, catfish pallets that i crush finely and baby brine shrimp.

I dont know wat to do, some of the fishs are not eating well i believe.
Advice would be greatly appriciated, i have waited six months too get these fish and don't want too lose any of them.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A couple of Questions come to mind. What exactly does "My water parameters are all good" mean in numbers for pH and GH and tank temp. How sure are you the fish are getting the food, a 3 ft. tank for a few small zebs may be making it hard for them to find it. Also, do you know what they were being fed before you got them?

Any sinking food that gets soft in the water you don't need to crush. Also, do you know what they were being fed before you got them?

What do you know aout the source of the fish. If it was a private seller, I would contact them about it and see if they have any similar problems or ideas.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
finetaste
Forum Follower

Post by finetaste »

Hi my ph:7.0, gh:50ppm and water temp is 27 degrees have no amonnia and nitrites. I feed alot at night time and i sython out all the un eaten food in the morning. I bought the fish through a private breeder, i was told to feed them frozen bloodworms finely shaved into small bits and other foods like flakes and crushed granules. Im not sure if there eating at all
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Next Q- do you know how much different your params are compared the the tank from which they came? If its pretty close you what you have, then you can rule out any level of shock from changing params.

Then- when you say their bellies don't loom full, does this mean they merely are not as plump as the others or that they actually look sunken? There is a difference. Until you can be sure they have a problem which requires medication, I would be reluctant to treat the tank in any way.

Three things to bear in mind. Not all zebs will grow at the same rate- males tend to get bigger faster. Also, even when small a group will have a pecking order. This will contribute to one or two getting more food and growing fast and then one or tw being more like the runts of the "litter". Finally, when fish are moved to a really "new" tank, it can take a bit of time for them to adjust and settle in. Sometimes fish will eat less or even not at all at first until they feell secure in their new evironment.

At their current size they should all be hanging together someplace in the tank for the most part. If you can identify that place and then try to get the food in close to it, it will make it easier for them to find.

At this stage I would just keep a close eye on them. Since they came from a breeder it is reasonable to assume they are parasite/worm free. There is never any guarantee, but unless you notice them losing weight, the odds are in your favor here. Which leads me to one final Q- are there any other fish besides the zebs in the tank?
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
finetaste
Forum Follower

Post by finetaste »

Hi again, thanks for the advice above. My water params are almost identical to the source of which the fish came from.

The bellies of the fishs dont look sunken but dont look plump, although i cant be %100 on all the fish. The reason being is i have a eheim pickup internal filter in the tank that im not running atm, which they all use to hide where the cord runs up all in a single line; up behined eachother but a couple of days ago i added a rock and a small piece of drift wood and now only three of them tuck behined the filter, i can see the other fish hiding but cant see thier bellies because thier not up against the glass, so i cant tell if the others are okay.

Maybe im just paranoid, Im keeping a close eye on them, ill keep u updated.

Thanks again for the adive. :)
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

You don't mention the temperature the fish are being kept at?

I wouldn't fret too badly. Very few of us actually get to watch the fish eat. If you're having to siphon out uneaten food you're risking your water quality. Cut back a bit. These guys can go for days with no food at all but ammonia can and does stress them to the point you'll lose them. Feed them enough food for the size of their eye after dark and slowly increase it in a few weeks in order to get them acclimated.

Warmer water almost always stimulates them to eat more btw ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

Hi

I agree with Barbie - 27°C arent that much - put up the temperature to 29°C.

Take care, that the food ends up exactly where they hide. With 3 cm they aren't that experienced in looking for food themselves. Myself I make a nice bunch of hidings in one little area and take care that the current will let the food stay nearby this hiding.

Best regards
Line