Will a tail grow back?

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Will a tail grow back?

Post by crazie.eddie »

I was cleaning the L-46 juvy tank and moving a piece of wood around. Once in awhile, I lift it up to remove any food that might be caught underneath it and suck them up. I guess I might have been careless and maybe dropped the corner of the wood on the tail of a juvy. The next day, I saw the tail portion with a big red open sore. I wasn't able to get any meds, so I performed a WC, using aged, heated, treated water. The following day, it was completely tailless and the tail portion was separated and had fungus, so I sucked it up and performed a WC again. I saw it hiding in a different spot, instead of under the wood. Normally, when I see fish separating themselves from other fish, it's life is almost at an end. I'm thinking I may see it dead the next day or so. I had no heart to euthanize it.

Well, 3 days later, the fish is still alive. I finally got a hold of Pimafix and Melafix and treated the tank. The area where the tail was cutoff was not as red as before and the fish looks a lot more livelier.

I'm wondering if the tail will grow back? As I mentioned, I have no heart in euthanizing it.
Last edited by crazie.eddie on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

Ive got a zeb which had not been looked after very well which had no tail fin.after about 1 week in good water conditions it started to grow back.Its now as good as new :)
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Good. I'll hope for the best.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Unfortunately, it didn't make it. The tale never grew back. The last few days, it stayed out in the open, which was kind of odd for shy fish. I knew this was a sign of something bad. I found it dead today.
John

Post by John »

Sorry to hear crazie.eddie :(
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]