anchor worm spotted on zebra

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

AJ
Forum Follower

anchor worm spotted on zebra

Post by AJ »

hi guys i have spotted an anchor worm oon one of my zebras and i wanted to know what would be best to treat it? i thought about using huey hung or water life treatments?
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Maybee PraziPro. It treats flukes, tapeworms, flatworms and turbellarians
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

There are some Huey Hung treatments available, I will be getting some in the next couple of days and would be happy to forward some to you. Apart from that i don't know much about anchor worms and flukes, not having come across them before.
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi AJ,
I was at a LFS weekend before last and noticed some nice bubblenesting catfish (Callicthys ?.). The owner told me that they were not yet for sale as he was treating them for Anchorworm, which they had arrived with from Peru/Brazil( which I had never seen before in 30 years of fishkeeping). I could see the dead anchworm on them which he removed quite easily with his fingers or tweezers. He told me that he was using a off the shelf Waterlife Product ( Sterazin ) and that he had to use it on his Whole System.
Regards,
Des
AJ
Forum Follower

Post by AJ »

thanx for information i pulled it out last night, trying to treat them at the moment.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi AJ,

As Des suggested Sterazin by Waterlife is going to be your best bet. Other treatments are not likely to be strong enough but remember to stick to the prescribed course. Treatments should be carried out on days 1, 3, 6 and 10 if I remember correctly, this is necessary so that you erradicate all larval stages of the pest. Invertebrates such as shrimp and snails will not tolerate Sterazin as it is copper based, you may want to consider using paragon if they can't be removed.

I've treated a tank containing zebras with Sterazin before and had no problems. Increase the aeration in your tank for the duration of the treatment and remove any carbon from your filters if you're using any.

Good luck, I hope that things improve and that you don't lose anymore of these precious little fish.
AJ
Forum Follower

Post by AJ »

im currently using Sterazin, and i hope this will do the trick :? if not any other ways i could solve it?
Adam

Post by Adam »

AJ, Sterazin should do the trick just be sure to carry out the treatment on the days specified by the manufacturer. Best not use any other treatments until you've finished this course, you shouldn't mix your medecines. I'm starting to sound just like my DR. I'm confident that the Sterazin will work, keep us posted.

Good luck.