time to move

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

civicr
Obsessed!!

time to move

Post by civicr »

im thinking about moving house soon and i was wondering how id mange to move the zebs with out stressing them out to much?any1 any ideas?as i wont be able to prep a new tank for them as the tank there in will still be there home.im stressed just thinking about it
help me thanks
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

What is the distance/time the move covers?
If you dont use ro water, are the water params at the new place close to those of your current place?

The biggest issue is to preserve as much of your established bacterial colony as possible. As for the fish, I would bag them and pack them in a styro as if you were shipping them. How you do these things are a function of you answers to the Qs above.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
civicr
Obsessed!!

move

Post by civicr »

its not definate the move but its on the cards,if i was moving it would be 30mins down the road max.so hope the water would be the same im more consernd about if i should keep some of the water out the tank?also if i used heat packs would the zebs be ok for a few hours till the tank water heated up again thanks ryan
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I have moved several times in the past with my first two zebs and discus as well, first time was ~ 2hrs away.

Best bet is to:

1. Make sure you have a clean tank before you strip down, carry out quite a few water changes in the weeks running up to the move (if you use gravel, clean it with a gravel cleaner), clean the filter media with the water from your tank to preserve the bacteria but removing the crap build up . Obtain lots of aquatic bags and styrene boxes from your LFS. Check that the water parameters at the new property are similar to the old one. Sometimes properties that are in the same local have very different water quality.
2. The day before the move starve the fish.
3. The day of the move catch and bag the fish, strip ther tank down and retain as much water as possible in the bags, box the fish and water up and hot foot it to your new aboad and set up the aquaium using the old water and slowly top up with new water over several hours or even days.
4. Don't feed the fish for a day or so and leave the lights off as well.
5. Sit back with a glass of malt and cross your fingers.

Regards

Al.C