Poorly Zebra, dorsal fin down to bone :(

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

alien_spawn

Poorly Zebra, dorsal fin down to bone :(

Post by alien_spawn »

Hi

Did a water change today, and to my horror our Zebra Pleco's dorsal fin is down to the bone and his body around the fin has gone pink, not sure what to do. Not seen this before. It doesn't look like fungus or fin rot.

Little bit of backgound- we have moved home recently (a month ago) I have been checking the water for any spikes from moving-but has been okay. I wondering if its delayed stress

The pink around the dorsal fin is slighly rasied, I am quite worried about the poor chap (I've had him for 1 and half yrs, and don't want to lose him)

Thanks in advance
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Have you got a picture of him?
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Sorry to hear about your plec.

When you say you moved house and you are checking for spikes. Does this mean you had to start your filter from scratch?

If so then it is likely that, yes, your zebra stress levels increased due to the move therefore opening it up to infection. If the water quality is bad then this will cause infection and tissue decay in fish, like your Zebra.

That said, it could be something totally different so a picture would help, along with more details on your move, current filteration, tank size etc etc.

Cheers

Tom
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Specifically, check for nitrites if you moved the tank a month ago. A water change of 30% today will be most helpful. You can take the poor little guy and swab the site with iodine to prevent bacterial issues, but I'd bet your tank is recycling. If that is true, reduce what you're feeding by at least 1/2 until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite levels in your tank. If you have nitrite readings, add salt at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon. Nitrites affect the bloods ability to carry oxygen, and salt can help offset that somewhat. It's not a cure though. Hope this helps!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Alien_Spawn

A picture would definately help, but other wise:

Is there any sign of hair like filaments around the base of the wound?
Does it resembel this in any way?

Image (Note a slight reddening at the foot of the wound) (This was caused by a territorial dispute, and a subsequent infection from what I found to be a "dead Spot" in the substrate of the tank)

Could the reddending be blood that has risen to the surface of the skin?

Is the Zebra a male, and if so are there any other males in the tank that could have created a territorial dispute. This could have occured due to the change in tank set-up. If this is the case, there will most likey be red tips to the pectorial fins.

In the meantime, definately follow Barbie's advice.

Good luck, and hopefully we will be able to help.
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
alien_spawn

Post by alien_spawn »

I wish I could get to him to be able to take a photo his dorsal is pretty much just bone left, looks like a white stick in some bubble gum , he has taken to hiding in the caves. I don't want to stress him totally out!

I wonder if he fought with another pleco in my tank?

There was no sign of hair filaments before or after the injury to his dorsal appeared pretty much over night.

I tested the water yesterday and it was reading all normal, I moved most the water with the house move- had very large water canisters borrowed from the LFS. I would go as far as saying for the fish it was like a 35% water change- the move was local too 15 minutes by car from where I was
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Net-rash? An injury during the move?
I bought two Zebras when I first was able, the second died within days as a result of net rash- one of his spikes got caught in the net when the guy at teh store was catching him, it went brown and the poor thing was dead two days later.
And at 150 bucks each that's a lot of problems. WE still haven't worked it all out but we will, neither of us is in much of a hurry at this point.